E-bike

Your bike looks great! Care to share any suggestions for parts, sources, etc.? I live in Washington State and, at 73, suffer from the effects of aging. Thanks!

Absolutely! It's a blast to ride. I found a bike on craigslist that had been ridden once around the block. $150. As I remember, motor was a 1200 W rear drive (about the same as an 800 w mid drive) at approximately $300 (I bought an extended warranty thru amazon $50). BATTERY as or more important than the drive!! I bought a 52V 20A triangle battery I believe at about $400 plust extended warranty $50. Rack, light, smart phone holder, panniers, etc. another $100 or so.

I built one using a 750w Baofeng kit (?spelling), and a full suspension Gary Fisher. The best part is it only weighs 42 lbs. Second benefit is it doesnt have the fat tires, so thieves arent as immediately attracted.
Ymmv

If you guys are going to ride bicycles and e-bikes, you need to learn the language. No matter how much I like Shrek, the proper term for men of your size and stature is, "Clydesdale".
I resemble that remark for sure! Especially size 15 5E! What is interesting is that a fat tire bike would suffice in ND or SD for most part to hunt muley, WT or speed goats since really not too many grades to worry about just distances! I am now thinking of fat tire bike with UTV as best means to hunt some of the spots I like.

I wonder if there are any opportunities to submit for an E-Bike use on Fed lands exception based upon health?

Feenix: so if bikes have a 275 weight limit or so, then I am in trouble with clothing and gear. Heck my size 15 5E's are heavy such I do not weigh them. Better not to know. My lunch alone would take me over easily😂

I hunted with 2 guys, we all had e-bikes. We had one that was built at a shop, and my buddy Alan and mine we built ourselves. Ours were fat tire bikes, my buddies was a regular mountain bike (a very good quality) with the widest tires he could get (2.75"?). At 25-30 mph he was getting squirrelly on the gravel/dirt roads, and we were riding one handed.

From the secretary of the Interior:
b) E-bikes shall be allowed where other types ofbicycles are allowed; and

1. c) E-bikes shall not be allowed where other types of bicycles are prohibited.
  2. Sec. 5 Implementation. I direct the Assistant Secretaries for Fish and Wildlife and Parks, Land and Minerals Management, and Water and Science, as appropriate, to do the following:
a) Within 14 days of the date of this Order, unless otherwise prohibited by law or regulation:

i) To the extent existing regulations allow, adopt a Bureau/Service-wide policy that conforms to the policy set forth in Sec. 4 ofthis Order;

1. ii) Amend or rescind any prior written policies as appropriate;

2. iii) Instruct the Director, Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to develop a proposed

rule to revise 50 CFR § 25.12 and any associated regulations to be consistent with this Order, add a definition fore-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. § 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from falling under the definition of off-road vehicle;

iv) Instruct the Director, National Park Service (NPS) to develop a proposed rule to revise 36 CFR § 1.4 and any associated regulations to be consistent with this Order, add a definition fore-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. § 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from the definition of motor vehicles;

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but thats state lands right? Rules changed for Federal land, BLM. Did you contact BLM manager?

I talked to GF office supervisor, ALL federal entities in MT still treat e-bikes as motorized. State lands are managed differently and must contact specific area of primary office of responsibility.

I find it's best just to go to the guy who's patrolling and get it from the horses mouth, in my case he's a good friend and he recently ran it up through command and told me it's a no go on National Forest which is his responsibility.

I'm not really an anti-government kind of person but every once in a while I just have to shake my head and say "WHY?"-- I hate lazy, one-size-fits-all policies. At then end of the day it's resource protection from idiots who, with an ebike, would have easier access to engage in stupidity and we pay the price. But still, I hate lazy, one-size-fits-all policies!

I hope this doesn't run afoul of the politics rule. If you think it does, I'll delete it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.