E-bike

If the land is open to motorized travel, yes. If it is closed, the e-bikes are considered motorized, so, beyond a closed gate or on a seasonally closed road, no go.

From the BLM site listed above by CONChunt:

Non-motorized trails
Contact your local BLM office for more information.

E-bikes are allowed on trails limited to bicycles and non-motorized travel ONLY IF a BLM Manager has issued a written decision authorizing e-bike use in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
So your saying each BLM manager decides how they interpret the law/bill? But it says right there in your paste, "E bikes are allowed on trails limited to bicycles".
I know in my discussions that F&W and BLM managers certainly aren't sharing much info.
Anyhow, I had received the info last year that we were good to go in Eastern Montana. Good luck out there this year, its a great fall!

Was he aware of the new bill from August 30th of 2019? Seems like its taking time to get the info out to the people.
QUOTE="bigngreen, post: 1990641, member: 13632"]
Unfortunately they are classified as a motor vehicle, I had to get clarification from our local Forest Service LEO and he checked up the chain for me and it's no different than a motorized side by side.
[/QUOTE]

So your saying each BLM manager decides how they interpret the law/bill? But it says right there in your paste, "E bikes are allowed on trails limited to bicycles".
I know in my discussions that F&W and BLM managers certainly aren't sharing much info.
Anyhow, I had received the info last year that we were good to go in Eastern Montana. Good luck out there this year, its a great fall!

I am not sure you read the whole thing... " E-bikes are allowed on trails limited to bicycles and non-motorized travel ONLY IF a BLM Manager has issued a written decision authorizing e-bike use"

My paste is from the site, typical bureaucracy, no clear answer.

When in doubt err on the side of caution. Unless you know of, and can reference or have in hand written authorization, you risk being fined.

In my areas, Lolo and Beaverhead Deerlodge NF and adjoining BLM, if the roads are closed to motorized traffic E-bikes are not allowed. Perhaps other BLM managers in other areas allowed but I have checked where I hunt and they do not allow.

Much to my chagrin, old knees struggle to hike 10-15 miles a day and pack out anything killed.

I am not sure you read the whole thing... " E-bikes are allowed on trails limited to bicycles and non-motorized travel ONLY IF a BLM Manager has issued a written decision authorizing e-bike use"

My paste is from the site, typical bureaucracy, no clear answer.

When in doubt err on the side of caution. Unless you know of, and can reference or have in hand written authorization, you risk being fined.
Sorry, i did read the whole thing, just wuoted part of it. The Bill from Aug 30th last year, didnt dispute the motorized or not motorized issue i dont believe, just that they would be allowed in all BLM/Fed lands. The Bureaucracy always seems to be a thing when Fed and State arent talking. I was fortunate to have the Voice Mail, and phone number of the BLM manager notifying me that, "you are good to go, looks like the law has changed."
Here is a link to the news article last year, worth a short read.

In my areas, Lolo and Beaverhead Deerlodge NF and adjoining BLM, if the roads are closed to motorized traffic E-bikes are not allowed. Perhaps other BLM managers in other areas allowed but I have checked where I hunt and they do not allow.

Much to my chagrin, old knees struggle to hike 10-15 miles a day and pack out anything killed.
I hear ya with the knees lol!

I built my own. I learned a lot doing so and did so with $1000. It probably is faster and has more power than many of the bikes sold as e-bikes on the market. I would also add, that a fat tire bike is much easier to ride at speed on dirt/gravel roads. I used it extensively last year in the lolo.
20190930_153039.jpg

I built my own. I learned a lot doing so and did so with $1000. It probably is faster and has more power than many of the bikes sold as e-bikes on the market. I would also add, that a fat tire bike is much easier to ride at speed on dirt/gravel roads. I used it extensively last year in the lolo. View attachment 216964
Your bike looks great! Care to share any suggestions for parts, sources, etc.? I live in Washington State and, at 73, suffer from the effects of aging. Thanks!

In Montana we have several lands administered by different federal agencies. Currently no ebikes are allowed on Dept of agriculture/ Forest service lands that are non motorized. The attached document signed in August 2019 does allow ebikes on BLM, dept of Interior and Natural Parks service land that were non motorized. This is a very fluid situation and will probably continue to change. Make sure to stay up on regulatory change updates if you plan on riding on federal lands.
https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/f..._through_the_use_of_electric_bikes_-508_0.pdf

THE SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR WASHINGTON ORDER NO. 3 3 7 6
Subject: Increasing Recreational Opportunities through the use of Electric Bikes Sec. 1 Purpose. This Order is intended to increase recreational opportunities for all Americans, especially those with physical limitations, and to encourage the enjoyment of lands and waters managed by the Department of the Interior (Department). This Order simplifies and unifies regulation of electric bicycles ( e-bikes) on Federal lands managed by the Department and also decreases regulatory burden. Sec. 2 Authorities. This Order is issued under the authority of section 2 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1950 (64 Stat. 1262), as amended, as well as other relevant statutes. Sec. 3 Background. Bicycling is an excellent way for visitors to Federal lands to experience America' s rich natural heritage. Bicycling has been popular in America since the early nineteenth century. Since then, innovation in the design and production of bicycles has dramatically increased mechanical efficiency, opening bicycling to a greater number of people in a larger number of environmental and geographical conditions. A relatively recent addition to the design of some bicycles is a small electric motor which can provide an electric power assist to the operation of the bicycle. Reducing the physical demand to operate a bicycle has expanded access to recreational opportunities, particularly to those with limitations stemming from age, illness, disability or fitness, especially in more challenging environments, such as high altitudes or hilly terrain. While e-bikes are operable in the same manner as other types of bicycles and in many cases they appear virtually indistinguishable from other types of bicycles, the addition of a small motor has caused regulatory uncertainty regarding whether e-bikes should be treated in the same manner as other types of bicycles or, alternatively, considered to be motor vehicles. This uncertainty must be clarified. To resolve this uncertainty the Consumer Product Safety Act (Act) provides useful guidance. That Act defines a "low-speed electric bicycle" to include a "two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor ofless than 750 watts (1 h.p,), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph", subjecting these low-speed e-bikes to the same consumer product regulations as other types of bicycles (15 U.S.C. § 2085). A majority of States have essentially followed this definition in some form. Uncertainty about the regulatory status of e-bikes has led the Federal land management agencies to impose restrictive access policies treating e-bikes as motor vehicles, often inconsistent with State and local regulations for adjacent areas. The possibility that in some cases e-bikes can be propelled solely through power provided by the electric motor, a function often used in short duration by older 2 or disabled riders as an assist, has contributed to confusion about e-bike classification. Further, Federal regulation has not been consistent across the Department and has served to decrease access to Federally owned lands bye-bike riders. Sec. 4 Policy. Consistent with governing laws and regulations: a) For the purpose of this Order, "e-bikes" shall mean "low-speed electric bicycle" as defined by 15 U.S.C. § 2085 and falling within one of the following classifications: i) "Class 1 electric bicycle" shall mean an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour; ii) "Class 2 electric bicycle" shall mean an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour; and iii) "Class 3 electric bicycle" shall mean an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of28 miles per hour. b) E-bikes shall be allowed where other types of bicycles are allowed; and c) E-bikes shall not be allowed where other types of bicycles are prohibited. Sec. 5 Implementation. I direct the Assistant Secretaries for Fish and Wildlife and Parks, Land and Minerals Management, and Water and Science, as appropriate, to do the following: a) Within 14 days of the date of this Order, unless otherwise prohibited by law or regulation: i) To the extent existing regulations allow, adopt a Bureau/Service-wide policy that conforms to the policy set forth in Sec. 4 of this Order; ii) Amend or rescind any prior written policies as appropriate; iii) Instruct the Director, Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to develop a proposed rule to revise 50 CFR § 25.12 and any associated regulations to be consistent with this Order, add a definition fore-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. § 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from falling under the definition of off-road vehicle; iv) Instruct the Director, National Park Service (NPS) to develop a proposed rule to revise 36 CFR § 1.4 and any associated regulations to be consistent with this Order, add a definition fore-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. § 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from the definition of motor vehicles; 3 v) Instruct the Director, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to develop a proposed rule to revise 43 CFR § 8340.0-5 and any associated regulations to be consistent with this Order, add a definition fore-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. § 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from the definition of off-road vehicles or motorized vehicles; and vi) Instruct the Commissioner, Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) to develop a proposed rule to revise 43 CFR § 420.5 and any associated regulations to be consistent with this Order, add a definition fore-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. § 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from the definition of off-road vehicles. b) Within 30 days of the date of this Order, submit a report to the Secretary including: i) A summary of the policy changes enacted in response to this Order; ii) A summary of any laws or regulations that prohibit the full adoption of the policy described by this Order; and iii) A timeline to seek public comment on changing any regulation described above. c) Within 30 days of the date of this Order, provide appropriate public guidance regarding the use of e-bikes on public lands within units of the National Park System, National Wildlife Refuge System, lands managed by BLM, and lands managed by BOR. Sec. 6 Effect of the Order. This Order is intended to improve the internal management of the Department. This Order and any resulting reports or recommendations are not intended to, and do not create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or equity by a party against the United States, its departments, agencies, instrumentalities or entities, its officers or employees, or any other person. To the extent there is any inconsistency between the provisions of this Order and any Federal laws or regulations, the laws or regulations will control. Sec. 7 Expiration Date. This Order is effective immediately. It will remain in effect until its provisions are implemented and completed, or until it is amended, superseded, or revoked. Secretary of the Interior Date: AUG 2 9 201 9

The Great Public Lands E-Bike Rush of 2019
In a controversial move, the secretary of the interior recently decreed that motorized bikes should be allowed anywhere that standard bikes are permitted. How this will work is still being sorted out, but the world of pedal-assist riding is about to really open up.
E-bikes are the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. bike market.

Christopher Solomon
Christopher Solomon

Sep 13, 2019

During the administration of President George W. Bush, officials who oversaw public lands and the environment would frequently wait until 5 P.M. on Friday to announce rollbacks that would help businesses and industry at the expense of environmentalists and recreational users. The hope, presumably, was that no one would notice. For some of those years, a top official at the Interior Department was a man named David Bernhardt.

Bernhardt is now secretary of the interior, and he must still favor the tactic. Late in the day on August 29, 2019 the Thursday before Labor Day weekend, Bernhardt signed a secretarial order that could open an enormous swath of public lands to electronic bicycles, those motorized two-wheelers that have become common in cities but are a newer and more contentious presence on unpaved trails.
If Bernhardt hoped his order would go unnoticed, it didn't work: The media reported on the change immediately, and it quickly stirred up controversy. Secretarial Order 3376 is broad, with potentially large ramifications for public lands and people who enjoy them, whether they're in the saddle or not. Here's what you need to know.

What 3376 Says
Interior's land agencies—the National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Bureau of Reclamation—have been told to no longer define e-bikes of all power types as off-road motorized vehicles. (As described in more detail below, all e-bikes contain motors. Different classes of e-bikes offer increasing amounts of power and speed to assist a rider. Some will provide assistance up to 28 miles an hour.)
"E-bikes shall be allowed where other types of bicycles are allowed," the order states. It doesn't place any restrictions on which e-bikes can be used on nonmotorized trails. It gives agencies 14 days to adopt the new policy. While news reports have focused on what the changes could mean for the Park Service, which controls more than 85 million acres, the BLM is perhaps more significant. The agency manages 248 million acres of the country, more than any other government body overseeing federal land.
The goal of all this, Bernhardt wrote, is "to increase recreational opportunities for all Americans, especially those with physical limitations." The order also tries to simplify the rules surrounding e-bikes and "decreases regulatory burden"—always popular in Republican circles.
The order gives the agencies 30 days to produce a public policy about how e-bikes can be used. It's currently unclear how each agency will respond—that is, how widely they will throw open the doors of the public lands they manage, given that there are regulations already on the books for each agency that might conflict with the order.
The National Park Service already issued its new policy on Friday, August 30. It allows e-bikes on park roads, paved or hardened trails, areas designated for off-road motor vehicle use, and administrative roads and trails where traditional bikes are allowed. The bikes are not allowed in wilderness areas, nor are they allowed in areas where traditional bikes can't go. (Unlike other agencies, the Park Service has few singletrack trails where bikes currently are permitted.) Except on park roads, the policy also requires the rider of an e-bike to use the motor only to assist pedal propulsion and not to use it like a motorbike, with a throttle. It's unclear how the service would be able to enforce that, however.
The Park Service has claimed that superintendents still have the discretion to restrict or impose conditions on e-bikes for protection of the park or public safety—keeping a trail open only to traditional bikes, for instance.
The upshot is still a bit murky. Will people be e-biking on a paved trail in Yosemite sometime soon? Probably so. Will people be e-biking up a narrow hiking track to a kiva on BLM land in Arizona? Maybe not. Such questions will be answered in the weeks and months ahead.

E-Bikes: A Primer
E-bikes are the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. bike market. Their share of total bike sales in the U.S. is still small, but it tripled in the past three years, to six percent of the market—and it's grown more than eightfold since 2014, even as sales of conventional road bikes have been dropping.
Another attraction to bike companies is the cost of e-bikes, which is high. For example, at Bangtail Bikes and XC Skis in Bozeman, Montana, a full-suspension e-mountain bike (eMTB) starts at around $4,500 and can sell for as much as $12,000. (It should be mentioned that a high-end, full-suspension mountain bike can cost nearly this much, too.)
For these and other reasons, the bike industry has been pushing hard, particularly at the state and federal level, for more off-pavement e-bike access. The People for Bikes Coalition, a bike-industry group based in Boulder, offers a playbook with talking points and suggested answers to questions from people who don't know much about e-bikes or don't like them. REI, which doubled its e-bike offerings in 2019, also donated $110,000 to the group's efforts to expand e-bike access both on and off road, which includes getting states to enact e-bike laws that the industry finds favorable.
This probably muddy's the water but hopefully clears up some of the confusion. Ebikes on public lands is so new that land managers are still not sure to handle them. If people are interested in them get out and test drive them. You will find that they are very similar to a regular bike and are low impact on the environment. Mountain bikers are fearing that their turf is being potentially threatened and rightfully so as they have spent time and money to develop relationships that allow them the current access to non motorized trails. Ebikes are a great alternative to a bike for a greying generation of hunters and recreationists.

Unfortunately they are classified as a motor vehicle, I had to get clarification from our local Forest Service LEO and he checked up the chain for me and it's no different than a motorized side by side.
Correct. I hunt a couple different states federal land. Not allowed on trails that non motor bikes are allowed. I use a mountain bike and it's easy enough to peddle VS walking that same couple miles to get back off roads. E bike would be nice but not necessary for me.

Did you have a chance to read 338UltraMags post? And have you tried to get those states to review this new Bill/law and see why they aren't allowing it. To be honest, it seems that maybe creating awareness with BLM managers will clear things up. But I thought since I'd done this with Montana, in the NE, that all Montana would be aware now, but that does not appear to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.