Dwell Time And Your Trigger By Darrell Holland

ADMIN

Administrator
This is the thread for discussion of the article: Dwell Time And Your Trigger
By Darrell Holland

Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trigger Warnings throughout the year...

I can hear everyone now... What the H#ll is he talking about??? I'm talking about setting up your trigger in the heat of the summer, (80- 100 degrees) and then going out late fall or winter in much colder (0 - 20 degrees f) temperatures to find that the steel has contracted, causing your perfectly set 2 lb. trigger pull to be reduced down to Much less. Makes for a touchy trigger.

If I have he trigger all set up can I adjust just the trigger dwell screw and not effect any other of the setting or do I have to adjust all the screws if I am going to adjust the dwell?

Thanks
SES50

gENTLEMEN,

GREETINGS, THANKS FOR THE INTEREST IN THE ARTICLE. DWELL TIME HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TRIGGER WEIGHT, TEMPERATURES, OR SEAR ENGAGEMENT.

IT HAS TO DO WITH "OVERTRAVEL" THE AMOUNT THE TRIGGER MOVES AFTER THE SEAR BREAKS. BY ADJUSTING THE OVERTRAVEL TO ITS MAXIMUM SETTING WE ELIMINATE THE ENERGY TRANSFER CAUSED BY FLINCHING.

IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE WITH LONG RANGE SHOOTERS WHO HAVE A TENDENCY TO MASH THE TRIGGER IN ANTICIPATION OF RECOIL AND NOISE.

HOPE THIS HELPS ALL OF OUR READERS WHO MAY BE CONFUSED ABOUT THE TOPIC.

RESPECTFULLY,

DARRELL HOLLAND

Thank you for your kind response, I alway try to offer words of wisdom to fellow shooters....

Energy transfers and over travel adjustments are just a few tips to help you perform better in the field. Watch for our video clips regarding bolt manipulation and bi-pod deployment. You will find them very useful as well.

As a post Christmas present to yourself, give some thought to attending one of our long range shooting schools.

Until then,

Be safe and burn lots of powder getting good....

Respectfully,

Darrell Holland

This it kinda funny I have been saving this article for awile. I having trying to learn every thing about the 700 trigger I can. What started it was buying a new 700 I have been shooting my 721 years. The difrence between the way the saftey works drove me nuts. (bolt locking down) Anyway I got them both at the smith now the 700 is going to be just like a 721 & the 721 is going to be just like a 700 drop in fit. nothing new here just personal preference & want it easer to restock the 721. that article was just about jewled triggers right and vary good by the way. Is this right I would want just a bit of over travle so I dont flinch? Just a nice smooth break as my finger goes by?

Gentlemen,

Greetings once again....

My article pertains to the the Jewell tirgger and the abiltiy to adjust the overtravel so as to eliminate an ENERGY TRANSFER when mashing the trigger. It does not apply to a factory Remington trigger as the sear designs are quite different.

I seriously doubt that cold temperatures will result in a change of pull with a properly adjusted trigger of any kind. The molecular change ( shrinkage) in a small piece of steel to affect the sear angle ( POSITIVE NEGATIVE SEAR ENGAGEMNT) is un-measurable. The sear spring would make up for any minute descrepencey in sear angles etc.

If you are NOT familiar with sear angles, engagement, sping tension etc. Consult a gunsmith or someone who is.....

Serious shooters take the time to know and understand the inner workings of their rifle....

Education is the key to success.

Best of luck to everyone...

Respectfully,

Darrell Holland

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.