Durakoat/Cerakote pics wanted

Greywolf18

I am trying to decide which colors to choose for my rifle build. I went to the website and they had the interactive pistol color thingy, but I want to see what the real rifles look like. I was wondering if the members and smiths would post some pics of their guns that they had painted to help myself and maybe someone in the future choose! I was thinking around the flat dark earth and OD Green, but not sure how the color scheme will look on the rifle. This will be a hunting rifle so looking for hunting colors. Although a buddy of mine tried telling me to get it blaze orange so I don't have to wear a vest lol:D Thanks in advance for the pics!

Painted this last week. Tactical (Flat) OD Green Duracoat...

I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

ODGreen-Duracoat.jpg

DSCN0888.jpg

I too use Durakoat and love the product. It lays flat and applies way easy. I love to mix flat black with woodland green to make what I call Shadow black which is just mean in the dark or as a background for some light natural foliage highlights. give me a shot at my Yahoo account and I will send you some picks. [email protected]. you can hit me at blackgunsandgundogs.com too that will have one photo of my 6.5 mauser but more will be posted soon. for the money though go with durakoat. get a can of 235c reducer from napa to clean up with though.

marc

normal_Blog_A_%286%29.JPG

normal_Oransje_2.JPG

normal_Vmax_%286%29.jpg

Remember PROPER surface preparation before Duracoating, it really affect the finish durability.

The above finish is base colour Woodland Tan with dark spots WWII Olive Green.

With WWII Olive Green you can made a wide spectre of colours. Add same amount of white as hardener and you'll have a very nice, subtle green. Picture below is a barrel with said mix next to a blued for comparison.
normal_6a.JPG

In this thread http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/pics-my-new-lr-rifle-build-47613/ is more pictures etc of the Duracoating and work on this rifle

Last edited:
This is probably a stupid question but I don't know so I will ask anyway.

How durable is this stuff? I'm considering having my 6-284, blued receiver stainless barrel, painted in something like a flat black kinda maybe like how my Rem. LTR is. Do I have to be careful not to nick, bump or whatever with it after it's painted? Last thing I want is to have little spots here an there where it rubbed off or chipped off. Again, my ignorance is showing bright but that's ok cause I need to know.

Thanks

Remove bluing with fine sandpaper or sandblasting, degrease, degrease and degrease and Duracoat will be almost as durable as bluing and completely maintenance free.

In reply to the question

Nothing very spectacular to offer, but I have 3 rifles that have been duracoated in UK by Jager Sporting, and I am pleased with the results:

Sako75 - 7-08 in Parker Grey

Sako75_708.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Tikka 595 - 260 in Parker Grey

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Lawton 700 - 6.5x55 in FN Green and Flectarn for the Manners Stock.

Lawton65x55.jpg

The permutations are endless !

Best

T260

Has anyone used the clea coat I would likely install a SS barrel but I am not very excited about screwing a SS barrel into a blued receiver. Will it work to stripping the receiver bluing and use a clear Duracoat to in effect more closely match the receiver to the barrel?
Thanks
Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts