Duracoat?

270 win

Ok, so Im about to order some Duracoat ( Armacoat ) and am just wondering what kind of precautions you guys take when painting an entire rifle ( barreled action, scope, and stock ). How well do you tape off the trigger area? And do you completely mask off the port and bolt?

I have Dura Coated three of my rifles. On each, I used blue painters tape to cover anything I did not want coated. A foam ear plug in the muzzle worked great. No problems.

I taped up the trigger to ensure no coating made its way to the guts.

I completely taped off the bolt and port.

The last rifle I coated, I separated the barreled action from the stock before coating. The other two rigs I coated as a whole. Both methods gave good results. Separating everything probably gave a little better results and if desired, you could coat the entire underside of the barrel and receiver.

I have no prior experience painting with an airbrush. I found the Dura Coat very user friendly and forgiving. Not one run, drip, or other application OOOPS was incurred during the process. It is easier to apply than Krylon.

I think it is important to lightly sand all surfaces metal, aluminum, or synthetic before coating. I used common aerosol brake cleaner for the final degrease before coating. I recommend you have a can of laquer thinner handy for clean up. Good lighting is also key in determining that you have a consistent, complete coating. Sunlight is best.

The colors I have used are Tactical Coyote Brown, Tactical OD Green, Tactical Flat Black, and Satin Clear. Be advised the color might look a little off when you first apply it. After it dries, it will look perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.