Dumb question

Mmlreiner

So, I hadn't thought about this before but I have to now. All of my reloading had come right after sighting rifles in with "box" ammo. Rifle is sighted in, dialed in well and I load from there.

I don't have any box ammo to start with, just the loaded ammo for my other rifle. Do I just start with my hand loads?
I'm sighting in a friend's Cva cascade in 6.5 PRC. My rifle is a custom build from Alamo precision. I have a ton of components and I almost don't know where to start lol. I've got: eld x 143
Berger 140
Berger 156

Hornady and adg brass

VV 565
H1000
4831sc
Rl26

Thoughts?

got start somewhere. Find out what powder was developed with the PRC and go from there.

Lol the rl26 is the one I have the best loads in the winter but it's super weird in the heat. I'm a little hesitant to use it in 100* but I can try it.

RL 26 according to Alliant is supposed to be
  • Controlled temperature stability
Maybe try Hodgdons extreme line

Try h1000 and n565 first
Id do a lighter charger to fire form and harden your brass
After the first 100 rounds its going to settle down and perform more constantly so I would just play around with seating depths until then. Seeing if you can find a wide node of around .010 where the accuracy isnt affected
After 100 rounds id do a saterlee test and find out where your velocity nodes are
Verify your results
Off you go

Got it. I have two hours at the range with the rifles owner to check the fit. I'll let him fling a few up close then start with the 565.

Try h1000 and n565 first
Id do a lighter charger to fire form and harden your brass
After the first 100 rounds its going to settle down and perform more constantly so I would just play around with seating depths until then. Seeing if you can find a wide node of around .010 where the accuracy isnt affected
After 100 rounds id do a saterlee test and find out where your velocity nodes are
Verify your results
Off you go
I think I was talking to Phil at Sierra Bullets. He said he used a primed case and filled it with cream of wheat to fire for cases. It could be another option?

I've started my loads at 56 grains of n565 with the eldx and worked up from there in half grain increments to 58. Loading 10 rounds each set since it's not sighted in at all. Going to the range in an hour. Wish me luck lol.