Dumb or tough hogs

I have managed a large hunting property that is infested with rattlesnakes and hogs the past 2 years.
Lots of the snakes I encounter are missing rattles and have wounds on them. Locals told me hogs were not affected by rattlesnake bites. They tell me the hogs will actually kill the snake and eat it.
I have wondered if this is the reason I see many with missing rattles and scaring.
I am not sure.

What does the hogs possess to make them immune to the bite. Maybe something to learn here. Thanks JE for posting.

bad to have rattlesnakes with no rattles I have seen alot of that in south Texas I was told the same thing about the hogs

We are just starting to get hogs so don't know all their impacts. Most of rattlesnakes we encounter do not rattle even when we provoke with looong stick before dispatching. This is pre hog time too!

I have managed a large hunting property that is infested with rattlesnakes and hogs the past 2 years.
Lots of the snakes I encounter are missing rattles and have wounds on them. Locals told me hogs were not affected by rattlesnake bites. They tell me the hogs will actually kill the snake and eat it.
I have wondered if this is the reason I see many with missing rattles and scaring.
I am not sure.
I've tried many times to feed snakes to my pigs and they won't touch them. They eat a or of other wild game from roadkill deer to squirrels to leftovers from butchering chickens. Always surprised they won't touch a snake, it will sit in their pen and rot. Obviously not wild hogs but they're not inside farm meat pigs either.

Hogs do eat snakes, at least feral hogs do, and are pretty much immune to their bites. We have noticed a definite decline in the number of snakes on our ranch due to hogs. As far as I know domestic hogs will eat them too. Don't know why your hogs are so picky sea2summit. Got lots of friends that raise them so I'm pretty sure about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.