Duct Tape on muzzle brake

When hunting in the field a muzzle brake is a pain and the extreme noise can damage your hearing. Has anybody ever tried wrapping the end of the gun with duct tape in order to block the holes on the muzzle brake? Is this an ok way to temporarily block the muzzle brake?
I thought there was electronic hearing equipment, that enhanced sound, for hunting, but instantly turned sound off, or lowered it to within safe levels, when gun was fired. I believe they've been around for years now.

I use electrical tape around the break and 1 piece over the muzzle when weather is crappy to keep the rain or snow out but have never noticed a difference in bang. Sounds the same and just blows the tape off.

Electronic muffs let you hear but shut down at certain decimal. Not perfect but will let you hear and save ears.

At the range I always have used wax ear plugs and ear muffs over that, double protedtion.
I do that with every magnum caliber rifle I shoot on the bench. My walker game ears do great in the field. My 300rum and 338 lapua would be the only exceptions but if I'm hunting with them the target animals are far enough off that I always have time to put my plugs in and earmuffs on before I have to make the shot.

The problem with ear plugs is that you cannot hear the game rustling the brush.
Electronic muffs are what I have used hunting for years. Plus they keep my ears warm in colder weather. If you don't like the muffs, there are in the ear models that do the same thing other than keep your ears warm. Competition shooters use them all the time with guns with horribly loud muzzle brakes.

Brakes are fine and most beneficial when shooting multiple rounds from rifles with hard recoiling cartridges, such as at the range doing load development, varmint shooting, anything more than one or two rounds fired. Hearing protection in, safety glasses on, kevlar vest, etc. My opinion. While hunting I'm not wearing ear plugs or any other goofy things on my head (aside from the hat)since I will be only firing one or two shots and it likely won't cause deafness and the recoil from 2 shots won't hurt for long(especially if you've just killed your prey). You better not need to spot misses either since you should be dialed in so muzzle jump isn't a factor. Muzzle blast is always worse at the range when shooting from under cover, lots of surface to echo off of. Out in the field there is not much to echo off of and/or there is more sound absorbing surfaces. So either way you decide, brake on or off, while hunting it's not an issue. And again just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.