Duct Tape on muzzle brake

When hunting in the field a muzzle brake is a pain and the extreme noise can damage your hearing. Has anybody ever tried wrapping the end of the gun with duct tape in order to block the holes on the muzzle brake? Is this an ok way to temporarily block the muzzle brake?
No, and no. Just.... no. Wear ear pro or get a removable brake and thread protector. It takes a few seconds to put in ear pro, there are several electronic ear protection products that "enhance" hearing while blocking muzzle sound. Taping the brake will not work, the gasses forced by extreme pressure are blasting through the ports at a very high temp. Let the brake work unmasked!

When hunting in the field a muzzle brake is a pain and the extreme noise can damage your hearing. Has anybody ever tried wrapping the end of the gun with duct tape in order to block the holes on the muzzle brake? Is this an ok way to temporarily block the muzzle brake?
Just take it off!!!
Just take it off!!!

On topic of protecting the muzzle from debris, I see that Steve Rinella on Meateater often uses a condom on the end of his rifle, and other times it looks like electrical tape.

Many problems with taping a brake. One being tape will blow out unevenly imparting a variable muzzle movement impacting bullet launch consistency. Consistency is King. Use ear protection always.......and remove brake if you can't take it.

Many problems with taping a brake. One being tape will blow out unevenly imparting a variable muzzle movement impacting bullet launch consistency. Consistency is King. Use ear protection always.......and remove brake if you can't take it.
Thanks. Good advice.

I have seen first hand when a muzzle brake is wrapped with any tape heavier than electrical tape, it will still blow off and effect's shot impact extremely at long distance. Don't tape it, you can get little rubber finger sleeves or use a ballon to keep moisture out.

Last edited:
How are you getting by out there in Texas with the freezing cold and the power grid breakdown?
We were lucky, only one pipe burst out at the barn, power and water on the duration of the week. Saw a low of -4 one morning at 7 am, have Covert pic's with -7 at the feeder, temp under 32 for a week. We are out in the county and have Co-op power and water they did a great job.

Didn't read the thread.
Duct tape, IMO, = bad idea.
Blast redirector. Reduces effectiveness of MB, but also doesn't kill your ears. I hunt with electronic hearing protection anyway.

If your trying to hear game and not kill your ears get a suppressor or hear through ear protection.
I agree. You can buy, for a reasonable cost, hearing protection that has a mike and speakers in them. They however limit the max volume that the speakers will provide your ears. When I use them, I can actually hear better than I can without the hearing protection. They act as hearing aid if you turn the volume up enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.