Duct Tape on muzzle brake

In-ear hearing protection does not work as well as full cover muffs and more expensive. There is less coverage and sound travels through the body... If you're in the market for a pair, look at the dB rating (decibels) that provides a measure of the effectiveness of noise reduction. Choose what suits you best...
I used the in ear and a pair of muffs and that worked out pretty good

get a thread protector then just remove it when you hunt, may need to know you poi without brake as it can alter it slightly. No residue or shredded tape. I do this and it's quick and simple. But definitely know your poi with brake and without.

Is your muzzle brake not removeable?
This is really a funny post to me. I am 75 and back in a previous life when I got my first brake I hated the noise so I decided to cover the holes with tape when I touched the trigger it looked like a bird had built a nest on the the end of the rifle. My old shooting buddies still bring it up when they need a good laugh. No it does not work or reduce the noise. Thanks for the memories!

In-ear hearing protection does not work as well as full cover muffs and more expensive. There is less coverage and sound travels through the body... If you're in the market for a pair, look at the dB rating (decibels) that provides a measure of the effectiveness of noise reduction. Choose what suits you best...
The problem I have with muffs is they interfere with my cheek weld and the stock breaks the seal which also reduces their effectiveness.

The problem with ear plugs is that you cannot hear the game rustling the brush.
Wear electronic ear protection—at firing it blocks the noise and can be set to INCREASE your ability to hear the animals. It works even for those who fired 1000s of shots in our youth and now have problems with hearing loss.

Just happened to be looking around for hearing protection since one of my pair, Walker, not they fault, ear piece broke and ran across this report.
Kinda funny I have been using the Howard Leight for years and you can even use an iPod with them when your on a 4 wheeler, tractor or just mowing the yard, I think they even come with the cable. They also have larger, softer ear covers for them now for extended wearing time. I'm getting a set for my old ones. There are more expensive models out there that have Bluetooth connection. BTY you can adjust the volume on the Lieght's and they work well for hearing amplification afield.

I am not familiar with electronic protection. What is that?
Walker's has a line of electronic ear muffs and plugs that allow you to hear sounds or boost your hearing and have noise canceling for sounds over a certain decibel level. There are other companies that make them to, I just used Walkers as a reference.

Just happened to be looking around for hearing protection since one of my pair, Walker, not they fault, ear piece broke and ran across this report.
Kinda funny I have been using the Howard Leight for years and you can even use an iPod with them when your on a 4 wheeler, tractor or just mowing the yard, I think they even come with the cable. They also have larger, softer ear covers for them now for extended wearing time. I'm getting a set for my old ones. There are more expensive models out there that have Bluetooth connection. BTY you can adjust the volume on the Lieght's and they work well for hearing amplification afield.
How are you getting by out there in Texas with the freezing cold and the power grid breakdown?

When hunting in the field a muzzle brake is a pain and the extreme noise can damage your hearing. Has anybody ever tried wrapping the end of the gun with duct tape in order to block the holes on the muzzle brake? Is this an ok way to temporarily block the muzzle brake?
On my 338 win mag had a Brockman brake installed can rotate it to turn off/on, use the brake as needed got mine from EAB(E. Arthur Brown).

Read through this entire thread. What a waste of time.
Pint taken.

Nonetheless, enough folks seem to prefer abuse their ears than to get enhanced hearing AND protection, that it had to be said again.

One could also acknowledge the old adage about leading horses to water...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.