Dual Loads for One Rifle, Help

SES50

I am currently working with my 338 Lapua and am having issues sorting out what to do. I have two different load that I use for hunting.

My First load is a 225 grain AB. This is what I call my easy/cheap to shoot load. Good for most things out to 1000 yards and the rifle does not jump around that much. I have the rifle zeroed at 100 yards with this load.

My second load is a 300 grain SMK. This what I am using to shoot to long range (1000 and further). When I shoot this load at 100 yards with my 225 grain zero it shoot to the left 2" and down 2.25". So in my mind this should be easy. If I want to shoot the 300 grain bullet with the 225 grain zero I should just go up 2.25MOA and right 2MOA. This should zero the rifle and then I add my drop and windage for what ever I am shooting to.

Does this seam correct?

The second part of the story:
I shot to 300, 500 and 800 yards today. With the 225 grain zero my drops and windage came out as follows:

Yardage Elev(MOA) Wind(MOA)
100 2.25 2.00R
300 7.5 1.75R
500 12.75 1.25R
800 22.25 1.00R

Now there was some wind (5MPH max) but is was a pretty calm day. When I subtract 2.25 MOA zero off set I am having trouble getting any drop chart to match up. I have been working with exbal for a good hour trying to match the drop and can not get anything to match up close to the drop chart I am seeing when I sight in the rifle.

Anyone have any suggestion or better ideas to get this to work?

Thanks in advance.
SES50

Last edited:
Nobody can do anything with out a muzzle velocity.

Second it is not clear what bullet was fired to produce those drops.

I thought I was pretty clear.

225gr AB
300gr SMK

I do not understand why giving you the muzzle velocity is going to help you in determining if I am correct with my assumption on the fundimentals of adding a second load to a rifle that is zeroed with the primary load.

Muzzle Velocity on 225gr AB is 3113 fps
Muzzle Velocity on 300gr SMK is 2774 fps

Hope this Helps
SES50

I am easily confused and that is why I don't try to do what you are doing.

Here is an interesting number for you to ponder. 4.1 MOA

Your 300 yard drops are off by 4.1 MOA
Your 500 yard drops are off by 4.1 MOA
Your 800 yard drops are off by 4.1 MOA

I am a firm believer in the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid) I use one load in my 338 Lapua and that is the 300 SMK.. Works for me

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts