Dual duty scope help.

benjamin199

I would like some advice in choosing a scope that will serve dual duty for me.
1. The scope will be used on my prone rifle for NRA mid and long range matches during any/any events, this means prone sling supported from 300-1000 yards, this rifle has a 20 moa base installed.
2. I will be using this as a hunting scope on my long range rifle which is a HS Precision PH in 300WSM, this does not have a 20moa base, but I will probably put one on to make the swap between rifles a little easier.
I have made a list of the features I am looking for in this scope.
1. The low end of magnification should be no more than 4x , I would like the high end around 15x
2. I would like parallax adjustment, either turret style or AO will work.
3. I would prefer an objective diameter or 50mm or less.
4. I would like at least 50moa of elevation adjustment preferably closer to 60moa.
5. I would like a simple plex or German #4 style reticle in the 2nd plane.
6. I would like the elevation turret readily accessible for changes. (target or tactical style)
7. I would like very good glass and a solid scope with a good warranty.
8. I would like to minimize the size and weight as much as possible.

I realize everything with scopes is a compromise, and I will probably not meet every requirement above.
I have been looking and found the following scopes.
1. Zeiss diavari 4-16x50 T FL, 13.25", 25oz, 59.4moa elevation, this scope seems to be very close to what I am looking for but is fairly new so I haven't found any reviews on it.
2. Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 15.12", 22.4oz, 64moa elev., this scope is a little longer than the Zeiss but it is also lighter, I am worried the extra precision to extend the magnification range may make this a little less robust than I would prefer, but it seems to have a good warranty.
3. Schmidt and Bender 4-16X50 PMII, 15.5", 32oz, 56moa elevation, the main problem with this scope is the FFP reticle, while this scope is very rugged it is also big and heavy especially for a hunting rifle.
4. Nightforce 3.5-15x50, 14.7", 30oz, 110moa, again this is on the big and heavy side for a hunting scope, and the glass may be a step down from the rest, but this scope costs a lot less also.
If anyone has any personal experience with the above scopes and can offer some good advice I would greatly appreciate it, or if there is a scope I am missing that I should take a look at please let me know.
Thanks for your time,
Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.