Dry graphite neck lube for seating bullets?

RangerBrad

Hey fellas, I've seen that most use this lube for necks prior to resizing however, on Shawn Carlocks video (reloading for long range hunting) he used the One Shot product applied at a 45 degree angle for all of his case lubing prior to sizing however, the last step before adding the powder and bullet was to dip the case neck in graphite powder. How many of yal use this procedure and your thoughts on it?

He also does all the measurment of oal from ogive to base of case instead of base of case to tip of bullet. How many of yal use this method and your thoughts?

Also I have to say I am very impressed with this video as it isn't to complicated for a newbe reloader like me but is very precise and certainly something to aspire to. Thank's, Brad

graphite is an abrasive once it is heated up and the oxygen is driven off, its only a lubricant because of the oxygen - A common use for graphite is sand paper! I wont use it

I use the ogive measurements because it gives the most consistent measurements. Tips of bullets, especially the Berger bullets, wont always be level so you wont get consistent measurements.

I have never used the graphite coating on the necks of my cases but if you clean it off well, it shouldn't make a difference.

Bringing this one back!!

So I've been shooting virgin brass and don't use anything on the bullet or case neck just prior to seating. I do use imperial dry neck lube on the case neck when I expand them and don't wipe it out. So I'm sure there's a minute amount there.

I was thinking I might load some virgin cas s for hunting and decided I didn't want to have a "cold weld" scenario if I don't use those for a few weeks so I Coated my bullets with the dry lube prior to seating. The application on the bullets was not even... Some were heavier than others. I'm sure it's due to something on the bullet like oil from my hand or something similar. I loaded them anyway.

My ES and SD were terrible on these compared to not using lube. Like an ES of 60 and and SD of 25. Has anyone had this happen?

I have Used one shot for a while on resizing. Spray inside necks. I've not had no complaints and have tested with no difference.
I have now started to prior to adding powder started by sticking the case neck into my RCBS pad with the lube on it. Which applies a very small amount on ID onto case neck.
I will compare both shooting both the short term and long term affects. Doing this make a difference on seating bullets. We shall see.
as far as graphite. tried it and to messy and saw a slight difference on groups.

This is an oldie, for sure.

I have used Dry Imperial on every round I've loaded in the last ten years. It has improved my ES and SD, using it inside the neck on a Q-tip. If there is a downside, I've never seen it.

Well, one questionable part is that I was shooting in the last 2 hours of sunlight with clear skies and I use a shoot through Chrono. Not sure if the shallow angle of the sunlight would cause the poor readings

This is an oldie, for sure.

I have used Dry Imperial on every round I've loaded in the last ten years. It has improved my ES and SD, using it inside the neck on a Q-tip. If there is a downside, I've never seen it.
I x3 this for my father that has been reloading since he was 13 and now many years past that, has always taught me to use dry imperial with a q-tip when seating bullets, either competition rounds or hunting rounds

Well shoot. I wonder why it made my numbers so much more erratic. I'll have to keep thinking on this one

Bringing this one back!!

So I've been shooting virgin brass and don't use anything on the bullet or case neck just prior to seating. I do use imperial dry neck lube on the case neck when I expand them and don't wipe it out. So I'm sure there's a minute amount there.

I was thinking I might load some virgin cas s for hunting and decided I didn't want to have a "cold weld" scenario if I don't use those for a few weeks so I Coated my bullets with the dry lube prior to seating. The application on the bullets was not even... Some were heavier than others. I'm sure it's due to something on the bullet like oil from my hand or something similar. I loaded them anyway.

My ES and SD were terrible on these compared to not using lube. Like an ES of 60 and and SD of 25. Has anyone had this happen?
I use it religiously