Drunk Bear eats fingers and thumb

Buffalobob

(AP) Police say a bear bit off a woman's fingers at a Wisconsin zoo after she ignored barriers and warning signs to try to feed the animal.

The Lincoln Park Zoo in Manitowoc closed after the incident Friday morning. Police say the 47-year-old woman lost a thumb and a forefinger, and two other fingers were partially severed.

The woman's boyfriend was bitten as he tried to pry the bear's mouth off her hand, but he didn't lose any fingers.

Her 3-year-old granddaughter wasn't injured.

A mayor's office statement says alcohol played a factor.

It's unclear which of two Asiatic black bears bit the women when she put her hand through their enclosure's fence.

Police tell the Herald Times Reporter the bears likely won't be euthanized.

Manitowoc is about 80 miles north of Milwaukee.

Yep, another foot closer, and she'd have been a prime canidate for the Darwin Awards. Some people are sooooo stupid:D

The bear/s shouldn't be put down they're just doing what is natural. On the otherhand the woman didn't act naturally...who in the h&%l puts their hand in a bear cage...so not natural for human behavior.

My son and I took the granddaughter to the Milwaukee zoo on Friday and never once did I feel like showing her how to feed the bears. There were some grizzly's that I thought would make a nice rug ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.