Drop Compensators

G

What's the best bullet drop compensator to put on Leupold & Bushnell? Any experience out there guys????

For LR shooting, bullet drop compensators or reticles are not suitable in my opinion. Too much can change due to ambient conditions that the setting are not consistent enough.

Better to dial up and confirm with a spotter.

Out to 600yds, no problem but then that is not LR.

Jerry

I've always thought the best, when I used them were the home made ones.

Basically, what you do is shoot your rifle at various ranges with your load, then note the come up values on paper. (Using my Laser Range Finder eliminated another variable as that is the same one I used in the field.)

What I did then was to take a vibratory engraver and mark the knob with a dot for each range for quick reference.

This in my opinion is vastly better than using a commercially available knob with some generic load values on it.

D.
smile.gif

[ 07-16-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]

Kenton will make a custom BDC to your drop data and it will look as good as anything out of the factory.

For use in real world hunting situations I find a properly designed BDC vastly superior to converting drop data to minutes. It offers a tremendous speed advantage under pressure and gives up nothing in precision on longer shots when you must compensate for small changes in temp or pressure.

Just make a correction chart for change in temp or pressure from the conditions used to develop the BDC. It is just as easy as using a chart that converts this data to minutes but you still retain the advantages of the BDC.

Jerry,

I have to disagree with you on the idea that 600yds is not long range.

[ 07-16-2004: Message edited by: John Burns ]

That Whitetail that was strutting at 600 yds last year thought it was long distance; when no one took a shot at him. Most all these folks down here take a 50 yd shot if possible. I want to reach out and touch him this year.......

Sorry to keep interrupting, but come to think about it, I have enough talent and skill to make my own drop compensator, or at least I should. 360 degrees is not complicated, and if worse comes to worse, I can always buy one to see what their design is, before prototype II. Will keep you posted and thanks a LOT for your wisdom.

John, 600yds isn't long range on this board. Most of us shoot 1000 to 2000yds on a routine basis. Some hunt over 2000yds. This year I should be able to position myself for a shot 1000 to 1500yds.

Nighthunter, if inside 600yds, you may want to look at the Ballistic plex from Burris. The lines may not be exact but if you and your rifle shoot consistantly, it certainly will be close enough.

Example is that the 300yd line may be 340yds and if the deer is 320 to 370yds, you just hold a little high or low to adjust for drop. Practise, Practise, Practise.

Jerry

Jerry

Somebody makes a kit to engrave your own zeros on a turret-- i read about it not too long ago-- i just can't remember where-- either VHA mag, or PS Publications i think.

With reticles like the ballistic plex or boone and crocket you can customize the aim points to your load utilizing the moa data from the manufacturer for the drop line aim points.
There is a mathematical formula, I don't happen to have it here with me.
Then field test the data to fine tune it.

I've been thinking about this subject lately as I've come to the conclusion I don't want turrets for an upcoming horseback elk hunt.

I've found that the new Leupold Varmint Hunters Reticle is a pretty close match for my rifle (200 AccuBond @ 3177). Even with turrets, I always hunt with that load zeroed at 300 yds. With the VHR, the first line will be dead nuts on at 400, the second dead nuts on at 500 and the third will be "pretty close" to on at 600. More like 625 or so--I'll just need to shoot it and see.

But the more I think about it, the more I want to give it a try.

I forgot to mention, naturally the windage marks are off...but they happen to be almost exactly off by a factor of two. So the 10MPH wind drift marks will be 20 MPH marks. Not ideal, but it would give one a quick reference.

[ 07-20-2004: Message edited by: Jon A ]

Jerry & the rest...
Thanks for the suggestions. Will likely try the Burris first, and then maybe 1 or 2 sets from the other companys; just to see their designs. If I'm not satisfied with them, I'll probably build my own. I'm definitely not against shooting Whitetail further than 600 yds., just never done it before. Like I said, "I'm stoked about long distance shooting", but want to keep my hunting ethics as I progress up the ladder to; hopefully where you guys are now!
I agree that practice is the key factor to achieving most anything, and I intend to do a lot, once I get my range built. Thanks again, and Good Shootin'

Kwanjangnihm

The scope we set up has the standard Leupold target turrets with 1/4-minute clicks/ 15 minute per rev. The BDC for our standard calibers are marked to 900 yds on the first rev with a 200 yd zero. (.245 BC/ G7 @ 3450 fps, 30 deg temp, 7000 ft elevation).

With the 30mm tube most systems will dial on to over 1500 yds.

Reticle has ½ minute dots spaced at 2minutes for wind holds. It also has ranging lines space from 3 minutes to 8 minutes below the main cross hair.

Jon A,

For what it is worth I carried a rifle set up with Leupold target turret on the elevation for more than 200 miles on horseback last season with no troubles. We equip all our rifles for the show the same way and with the proper scabbard have never had a problem. 2 years ago we did have a horse fall directly on the scabbard and it did bend the scope ever so slightly, enough to move the zero about 4 minutes but I think?? it would have done the same to a scope with coin turrets.

I have also carried a scope with the M1 elevation turret in a scabbard and not had a problem but I always paid close attention when inserting or removing the rifle. The standard target turrets with the covers are less hassle and make me feel better.

I don't install windage turrets because I like to use dots in the reticle and the way they stick out the side makes them a hassle in a scabbard. The side focus feature on the 30 mm

Everybody has their own ideas that's just my experience.

Where is you elk hunt?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts