Drop Cart ??? Need Help

BEEMAN

I just made up a drop chart on Vortex's web site. I also made inputs on my SHOOTER APP. Both are relatively close to each other. My question is that it seems like I am getting a lot of drop (thought it would be flatter). 300 RUM 215 Berger Hybrid, Fed 215 Match, 2985fps, 91gr H1000. Altitude is 1000ft, temp 35 pressure 40 humidity 50. Zeroed at 200yds. Vortex says I will have a 7.1 Moa drop @ 500yds and Shooter says 7.0 moa drop or 36.7". This seems like a lot at 500yds. Could some one plug the numbers for me and see what they get? Been shooting quite a bit in developing a load and don't want to waste more barrel life for nothing. Thanks.

I just made up a drop chart on Vortex's web site. I also made inputs on my SHOOTER APP. Both are relatively close to each other. My question is that it seems like I am getting a lot of drop (thought it would be flatter). 300 RUM 215 Berger Hybrid, Fed 215 Match, 2985fps, 91gr H1000. Altitude is 1000ft, temp 35 pressure 40 humidity 50. Zeroed at 200yds. Vortex says I will have a 7.1 Moa drop @ 500yds and Shooter says 7.0 moa drop or 36.7". This seems like a lot at 500yds. Could some one plug the numbers for me and see what they get? Been shooting quite a bit in developing a load and don't want to waste more barrel life for nothing. Thanks.

What is your B.C Ill run it through my computer.gun)

BC is .696. Also with my charts and shooter it says at 1000yds my speed is only 1442.4fps. I think with the bergers you should have a impact velocity of 1800fps plus. If my charts are right I could only shoot to 700yds!

BC is .696. Also with my charts and shooter it says at 1000yds my speed is only 1442.4fps. I think with the bergers you should have a impact velocity of 1800fps plus. If my charts are right I could only shoot to 700yds!

I used point blank. At 500 it says 32.95in and 2443.79 fps. At 1000 yards it says 212.37in drop and 1963 fps. I don't know what altitude your at so I put in 4600 feet above sea level.
gun)

Thanks I am at 1000ft elevation. Long range is new to me so I guess it will be trial and error. When I get some decent weather I will go and shoot some drops at 600yds. See if these charts are close and validate my muzzle velocity.

I ran it across the G7 calc Bryan Litz sends out with his book. I don't have your scope hieght or twist rate so I set the scpe height to 1.8inches and twist rate to 1in11

500 yrds
vel-2342
energy- 2619
drop 6.48MOA
TOF - 0.5672
10mph drift- 2.18MOA

1000 yrds
vel- 1784
Energy- 1519
drop -21.84MOA
TOF- 1.301
10mh Drift- 4.98MOA

Hope this helps

Thanks Joe King. I re ran some numbers with shooter and used environmentals from my weather station here is what I got: Looks real close except for drift @ 1000 yds. Scope height is 2.23" Twist is 1 in 10.

500 yds
Vel-2334
Energy-2600.6ftlbs
Drop-33" or 6.3 MOA
TOF- 0.569
Drift @ 10mph- 3.3 MOA

1000 yds
VEL-1775.9 fps
Energy-1505.5 ftlbs
DROP-21.7 MOA
TOF-1.306
DRIFT @ 10mph-7.6MOA

Just re thought the drift at 1000 yds. By using inputs from my weather station SHOOTER actually used 15 mph. So I guess I must be doing it right. A little overwhelming with all these numbers when you are a newb. Thanks again I appreciate it.

I suggest that you "SHOOT" your drop chart with YOUR rifle and BULLETS you plan on using. This will give you the bullets arc as it goes down range.

I would use a white paper or cardboard at least 4 feet high and put your 200 yd. target near the top so you can see where your longer range shots hit. Then you have all your groups on one target.

I sighted mine at a 200 yd. zero then while shooting at the "SAME" target "EACH" time at all the ranges. You need to hold your crosshairs on your 200 yd. zero for each distance then you can measure the drop from 200 yds. and then 300 yds. then 400 yds. Shoot 5 shot groups and measure down from your 200 yd. zero to the "CENTER" of each group below. This will give you the most accurate arc of "YOUR" bullet.

I only shot at 200 yds then 300 yds. then 400 yds. This gave me the arc that my bullet had going down range. I also gave the Turret maker the altitude and temperature and humidity of where I shot the target. What he did was to make the velocity and other info for their computer program match the arc ( my measured drops ) of my bullet when making my custom turret.

When I first tested the custom turret it was dead nuts accurate out to 400 yds. Later when I was able to test its accuracy at much longer range it was dead nuts accurate out to 900 yds. The 900 yd. gong was a large one. How big I'm not sure, but the 700 yd. gong was 7 inches in diameter and 3 different guys hit it almost every time shooting 5 shots each. :):):):)

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum :D

joseph

PS: I called Vortex and spoke to Paul. He was the one that adjusted the program to make the custom turret. Great company and great customer service. :):):):)

Thanks Joseph. The shooting that you describe is exactly what I am hoping to do. We are having real bad fall weather, snow, sleet and high winds. I was hoping to get a custom turret as well but think I will run out of time. This is why I will probably dial this year. With your turret how much does point of impact change with temperature changes? Was thinking of getting my turret made for around the freezing point. Most shooting is done in fall at around 30-60F. But by November it could be -20. Have always wondered if a turret would work under these temperature changes.

I live & hunt in Georgia and hunted in North East Wyoming. Someone else here will have to answer your question about big differences in temperature.

Good luck and be safe,

joseph

Thanks Joseph. The shooting that you describe is exactly what I am hoping to do. We are having real bad fall weather, snow, sleet and high winds. I was hoping to get a custom turret as well but think I will run out of time. This is why I will probably dial this year. With your turret how much does point of impact change with temperature changes? Was thinking of getting my turret made for around the freezing point. Most shooting is done in fall at around 30-60F. But by November it could be -20. Have always wondered if a turret would work under these temperature changes.

You might want to get a hold of this guy if your looking to a custom turret. You've already got all the info he'll need. He also seems to be more than will to to get you what you need not just a product. if nothing else you'll gain some insights and options.
Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.