Drones and thermal Imageing : Issues

Buck Buster

Just been thinking about a story I herd about some idiot chasing deer across a field with a drone. Was he practicing herding deer up for future hunting adventures? I worked as a wildlife officer for 25 years and cant keep from thinking that drones and heat seeking equipment will be used by unethical slob hunters trying to get an edge over other law abiding hunters. I have read that some of the new heat seeking scopes will range out to 600 yards. This means you could long range locate animals and people up to 600 yards then wait on them to come out into an opening to identify what you had located with the scope. The drones could move game in the direction of a waiting slob hunter. I hope these two items are never legal as hunting equipment for live game, only for aiding in locating wounded animals. Good luck hunting and be safe

Just been thinking about a story I herd about some idiot chasing deer across a field with a drone. Was he practicing herding deer up for future hunting adventures? I worked as a wildlife officer for 25 years and cant keep from thinking that drones and heat seeking equipment will be used by unethical slob hunters trying to get an edge over other law abiding hunters. I have read that some of the new heat seeking scopes will range out to 600 yards. This means you could long range locate animals and people up to 600 yards then wait on them to come out into an opening to identify what you had located with the scope. The drones could move game in the direction of a waiting slob hunter. I hope these two items are never legal as hunting equipment for live game, only for aiding in locating wounded animals. Good luck hunting and be safe

I heard a similar story that a farmer that didn't want a hunter on the lease next to his land to shoot any deer (He thought they were all his
even if they jumped the fence to leave his property.

He would set in a high stand and spook deer that were getting close to jumping his fence to keep the hunter from getting any venison.

Strangely enough, he drifted over the hunters lease and the drone was disabled by a well placed shot from a deer rifle. It fell on the hunters land and he informed the farmer that everything on his land was his and everything on the hunters lease was his and he would be trespassing if he tried to retrieve it.

The story took a humorous turn when the hunter ask the farmer how to field dress the intruder on his lease.

Drones are a lot of fun and can be a useful tool if used correctly, but like everything else, a person with no morals can use them for misdeeds.

I hear shotguns are very effective also but they make it hard to clean and cook the drone because of all the lead.

J E CUSTOM

HA , ha , ha that was a very good story maybe it contains some edible nuts of some kind. I agree with you, if used wisely and for the right reasons they can be a useful and good thing. Good hunting and be safe. P.S. keep an eye and an ear in the air.

I just hope they are not allowed on Forest Service, BLM, State and other public lands, at least during hunting season. There is enough skullduggery going on, as it is.

Just recently, it was in the paper that a hunter was varmint hunting with infrared scope and shot an antelope. Game Wardens caught him. He lost his rifle, paid 3K+ in fines and lost hunting privileges for 3 years. Happened in Gaines County, west Tx.

Drones are officially illegal here during hunting season and illegal near wildlife in general.

I hope PA follows a similar line as you in Arizona that sounds great! Good hunting and be safe.

:p Been here before with the drone thing. I hope they are made legal in Pa. along with the semi autos for hunting deer and bear. I could duct tape an AK 47 to a drone and mow down a whole herd of deer at once. o_O

Hello,
Who needs thermal imaging when there is already a scanner system that is programmed to detect a "Specific" heartbeat. I am sure it would not take much for me to reprogram from human heartbeat detection to xyz animal heartbeat rhythm :)
That way even in pitch black you can tell if that is a poacher on your property or a cow :)

THEIS

Well it seems that every where I look lately I see something I do not approve of about the use of drones. The September issue of outdoor life has an article in it about fishing with the use of a drone on page 58, they use them to deploy the bait out into the ocean off the Jacksonville, Florida coast and also to locate fish out further in the ocean. In other news they are using them to smuggle drugs across the boarder. There are devises that attach to the drone that can hold different things. The bigger the drone the more weight it can carry. Laws need to be enacted soon to limit size and who can own what size, other regulations on their use need to be looked at also. Good luck hunting and be safe

Hello,
Commercial fisherman have been utilizing aerial surveillance for decades...so why not have that use scaled down to noncommercial use???
The consumer use of drones will continue to increase but realistically the consumers are/would be doing nothing more than the commercial entities have been doing for years and years.

THEIS

I did not Know commercial fisherman have been doing that for years, that's probably why I have seen in the past that commercial fisherman in places are having problems making a go of it because of the low numbers of fish. As with anything the more people hunting or fishing for a specific fish or animal the lower their numbers will drop. Put an extra 50 or 100 hunters in the same area that you hunt in and see what happens. You have to limit the kill not kill the limit, if every hunter would kill a deer for every tag they have this year there wouldn't be any left. Many things are making it easier to be successful hunting and fishing thus lowering their numbers. Here in PA at one time deer were nearly extinct because of unregulated hunting methods. Think what would happen if all fisherman could use the big nets that commercial fisherman do. Watch what you wish for, I hope I never see the sport hunter and fisherman commercialized. Nothing would be left. Good hunting and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.