Drew Type 6 for Unit 73, WY!

.30US

I've never been antelope hunting before, but am pretty excited we drew doe/fawn tags!

Six of us got tags. I'm taking my 6.5x55mm AI; haven't decided on the bullet, yet. My wife is taking a .243 I built. I'm thinking about loading 90gr NBTs, but will take any suggestions. I plan to take my M70 Featherweight .280 as a backup for either of us with 154gr. SSTs.

I know one buddy is taking his only bolt action, a .338 Federal. Another plans to light load his 7mm Rem Mag. I'm not sure about the others, yet.

Last edited:
Think we're flying out, so the third rifle isn't going along. Trying to decide whether to take my 26.25" 6.5X55 AI with 143gr ELD-Xs or the 22" .280 with 154gr SSTs. Haven't done load development for either bullet and getting short on time.

Use anything but those SSTs, as they expand way too fast even on antelope! I use the Hornady Interlocks for everything up through deer sized game in my .243 Sako, 25-06 Ruger, and 3-006 Model 70. It's getting a little late in the game if you haven't even decided whether you're driving or flying, rented a vehicle, got motel rooms, etc.!!!

Had a place to stay since the day of the drawing; they cancelled on me Wednesday, though. Airbnb says we are confirmed for our new place to stay. Don't need a vehicle, we'll have two buddies driving up to meet us with trucks. Flying or driving is dependent on how much time we can get coverage to watch the kids. We're doing the best we can just to make the trip happen!

I'll keep that in mind for the SSTs. I'd resisted them for years since reading about explosive results by members here, but a buddy is a die hard fan of them so I ordered some. I do still have some factory Norma 156gr Oryx ammo, I guess. The BC on them isn't that far off a school bus!

I also read the 143gr .264" ELD-Xs haven't been opening up reliably, too.

It's definitely coming together! I think it's going to all work out. Even the forecast looks significantly milder than last year on the same week; maybe it will hold.

I did find an old stash I forgot I had bought of .284" 162gr A-Max bullets, but may save them for something other than a 22" Model 70.

All six of us tagged out. Saw lots of mule deer and a herd of 25 elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.