Drew Oryx-NR-Off Range

killintime71

After what it seems like 100 years submitting for Oryx I have finally drawn. I will be guided in November, off range. I have two rifles that are suitable for this... Both shoot their preferred loads lights out, both are reliable with quality glass. Do I go with the 28 Nosler running 195 Bergers, or the 6.5 SST running 156 Bergers? Both guns are running their preferred loads at 2980FPS. I shoot the 6.5 SST slightly better, but I get the recommendation for a heavier caliber.

I realize that your hunt was last year, hope you filled your tag, but I thought I'd add some more info for others who might apply for the NM Oryx hunt.

1. I agree with El_Bandito on preferring the Nosler. Oryx are hard to put down.
2. Off range the Oryx are very wary, unlike the unmolested, tame critters on the
range. If you're lucky enough to get a standing shot it'll most likely be at long range. Otherwise you'll be shooting at a running Oryx, and they can really move!
3. If you put one down but not out (say with both shoulders broken) don't get cute and try to cut its throat. Oryx are very dangerous, the only hoofed animals that are documented to have killed African lions. And off range they are known to have killed large bull cattle. One even killed a Missle Range security guard.
4. Switchback is absolutely right about the oryx's anatomy. To better illustrate what you're in for, with regard to shot placement, take a look at this:

Oryx Anatomy.jpg

I realize that your hunt was last year, hope you filled your tag, but I thought I'd add some more info for others who might apply for the NM Oryx hunt.

1. I agree with El_Bandito on preferring the Nosler. Oryx are hard to put down.
2. Off range the Oryx are very wary, unlike the unmolested, tame critters on the
range. If you're lucky enough to get a standing shot it'll most likely be at long range. Otherwise you'll be shooting at a running Oryx, and they can really move!
3. If you put one down but not out (say with both shoulders broken) don't get cute and try to cut its throat. Oryx are very dangerous, the only hoofed animals that are documented to have killed African lions. And off range they are known to have killed large bull cattle. One even killed a Missle Range security guard.
4. Switchback is absolutely right about the oryx's anatomy. To better illustrate what you're in for, with regard to shot placement, take a look at this:

View attachment 437998

I did fill my tag, I ended up taking the 6.5 SST running the 156 gr Berger at about 2970. Double Lung, Heart, pass through at 215 yards, walked about 15 yards and collapsed. Much harder to hunt than I thought due to terrain and animal behavior.

y4mL-YhnZgyKUXrc6tCduaSd6gCqqDRkdG-0BpwQm46dKULiow6ZVYEwElhE0aZxj9jLoieSgWx8axwCky-pPNYG9aCb8lSkYwhGn11btCK90gcKMWvFJEqSdQNfGwYp-3paDJIsRMsn1X6wpkCVnEodaNQB257UIPAvv2YOaIFz9p0VbC2sWkK2mgeZAuLPB5c

y4mPo7LPIMjDvsIMOl0wOSZbc6h8-9iQRXv-3vI6XyIsWmjDfgEVRkx0dJovzD-9dNxgu9NN5ABD1Pi2zlBikYI7UCAZ8mQM-bNkD7Ljs8aztq4AwCI6TpauiOtOYx5GV8uiN8njuFKAzZdhZRScaflPP46dYGu9BuuTdno9xTm9vPy4vQgM6zDrwsfRO4rhyQr

y4meSMV7YNShOpaWa2hAgAPl6E7rlg-xWMB_qaT2pTW8VFSeoPE5lPH9R0CxGMdG5FBfoEI4W7LTIrDsv3q84Q72g4RuKPHQOud2uxdRu4FeVDUl0VR0g9AqtNG8ABY4TTwaF77vF9ISyygeVbTu69ucma_SsRFTqP7gjHgbLi2x5H-0Yc0Ty6Q51R87hhqbg4O

y4maPOReSeNUgcLdL4G6FcSZtrffUqT6mQ5G3AEFq2sbvTrIXAkPPbVjJiTheVkLuGc65DRdwILbPC_5QeQ_MnHQkGoYzOE_nZYuSgHXTPaT64Im9jGpKzHwr3rCSosTdGGzB2qESTl4uqNr6P0LpxO6vtQJUbPv5kQc0BBFtipTUkvCLJbV4bdyV27WsbIbRRt

Well done! Looks like you, your guide, the Sherman Short Mag and the Berger bullet all performed to perfection.
The guide was excellent, made me work, and was not afraid to "guide" me to success. :D. If I draw Elk or Bighorn, I will use him. Some guides like consultants are too afraid to offend of potentially offend their clients by providing instruction/tips.

Outstanding. Good to know you were able to hook up with such an outstanding guide. Guide services in NM run the full gamut of quality from useless to excellent. I've personally never used a guide for hunting but I have received a number of inquiries from distant friends about who I might recommend. Any chance that your guide would like you to share his contact info with us?

Justin Medina owner operator of http://arrowheadoutfitters.net/index.html Solid Christian dude (not that it matters to me) smart, hardworking, hustler, willing to give advice, and stupid in shape. I never hired guide till I left AK. Unfortunately, with a job, lack of familiarity with Geo, guides are necessary. The good news, I have been lucky to find **** good guides.