Drew AZ Antlerless Limited Opportunity Tag, Have Questions

benchracer

I drew an antlerless tag for hunt #3091 (Unit 17A, 17B, 18B, 19B, 20A, 20C) October 4th-17th. I am doing my homework and have already begun to scout this HUGE area. This will be the first elk hunt of my lifetime and my first time ever hunting on public land (other than for coyotes and prairie dogs). I know it's not a prime area and I expect the hunt to be difficult, but I am really looking forward to gaining some experience.

The biggest challenge will no doubt be finding the elk. I am working on that part! But, I do have some questions regarding conditions in the area. First, what is the typical rut period for elk in northern Arizona? I have done some research on the topic, but haven't found anything specific to the area, only the general statement that the elk rut is centered around the fall equinox (September 23rd, this year). Does that hold true in every geographic area?

Secondly, what are the typical weather conditions that time of year? I am expecting relatively warm conditions in early October, given that the monsoons will have ended only a short time before the season starts. I ask this question with animal behavior patterns in mind, rather than gear selection.

I am also wondering about hunting pressure during this time. I know 150 tags were issued for this hunt, but that doesn't tell me much about what to expect. Do hunters in this area tend to cluster in specific locations? What are common tactics for this area and time of year? Do most other hunters road hunt? Do they sit on waterholes? Etc, etc... I am asking this because I expect to have to plan my hunting locations and methods, and camping locations, around other hunters in the area. I am not really sure what to expect for overall hunter activity.

EDIT: Entered 19A in error. Correct unit is 19B.

Last edited:
racer, that is a very very tough hunt. The best chances are on private land which needs permission. There's no guarantee the elk will be there as well. A friend doing underground fiber optics on Williamson Valley Road in the unit 18 area saw four cows taken there several years ago, but the local rancher said elk were highly transient there. Perhaps inquire with landowners who farm the far western edges of Chino Valley. I've been told some elk frequent that area as well. I've hunted 18B during deer and javelina and never saw any elk. 17A looks like good elk country, but can't recall anyone killing one there.

racer, that is a very very tough hunt. The best chances are on private land which needs permission. There's no guarantee the elk will be there as well. A friend doing underground fiber optics on Williamson Valley Road in the unit 18 area saw four cows taken there several years ago, but the local rancher said elk were highly transient there. Perhaps inquire with landowners who farm the far western edges of Chino Valley. I've been told some elk frequent that area as well. I've hunted 18B during deer and javelina and never saw any elk. 17A looks like good elk country, but can't recall anyone killing one there.

No question this is going to be a tough hunt. If that weren't true, tags would be harder to draw. I applied in that area with a pretty good understanding of what I am up against, but I do have something of a "home field advantage" working for me, which I am largely counting on to help carry me through. I have had the desire to hunt elk for most of my adult life and decided to go for the hail mary, rather than wait a period of years for a more desirable tag. I can't learn anything about elk hunting sitting in my living room!

I have seen quite a bit of sign during my initial scouting and there are some areas I am beginning to zero in on. However, there is still a lot of time before the season opens and I fully expect changing conditions to bring about changes in elk behavior. My concern is that changes in weather or pressure from other hunters may blow up my well laid plans, which is the impetus for my questions.

Your observations, along with those of your friend, are consistent with what I am seeing and what others have told me. I agree that private land could play a pivotal role in my success or failure. I have some places in mind where I intend to seek permission. I suspect permission may be somewhat easier to obtain in pursuit of cow elk, as opposed to a bull, but that remains to be seen.

I have a LOT to learn and will be spending as much time as I possibly can getting to know this country. Based on what I have read, I plan to have a Mountian Lion tag in my back pocket and a pistol on my hip during my explorations. Getting to know this area has been enjoyable, so far. In addition to elk sign, I have seen deer sign just about everywhere I have gone. I have bumped javelina in a couple of spots and encountered pronghorn in some of the more open, lower elevation portions of the area. I am very interested in finding the bighorns that dwell in 18B, also. I have never seen a bighorn in the wild. It would be a thrill to me just to SEE one!

October 4th could absolutely be rut time, and calling could be helpful. The rut tends to be the end of September into October, but can depend on weather. If it is still hot it can push back. If it cools off early it will come earlier.

I have heard bulls calling in 7e in the pines into mid-late October.

Are you sure 19a is part of that tag?
Tough hunt. Start scouting and scout more.

It's not 19A, it's 19B. I typed 19A in error.

ETA: You are quite right about scouting. That is exactly my plan: Scout, scout, and scout some more. That is what I intend to rely on to stack the odds in my favor.

Last edited:
October 4th could absolutely be rut time, and calling could be helpful. The rut tends to be the end of September into October, but can depend on weather. If it is still hot it can push back. If it cools off early it will come earlier.

I have heard bulls calling in 7e in the pines into mid-late October.

VERY useful feedback. Thank you!

I have seen some BIG bulls in northern 19b & southern 18a south of I-40. Where there are bulls, there will be cows during your hunt. Picked up a set of sheds in 18a that without a spread credit went 370".

I have seen some BIG bulls in northern 19b & southern 18a south of I-40. Where there are bulls, there will be cows during your hunt. Picked up a set of sheds in 18a that without a spread credit went 370".

I haven't seen the bulls in 18A, but I have seen their sign. Based on what I saw, there are some MONSTERS in there. Late last year, saw a rub on a juniper that was several feet taller than my outstretched arms and some BIG elk tracks along with it. Big Mountain Lion tracks were overlayed on the elk tracks in a few spots, too. The sheds you mentioned would be an exciting find. VERY COOL!

I know that 18A is part of another Limited Opportunity Hunt, in combination with 15A and 15B. I think that could be a good place to draw a tag. The "Elky" places I have seen in 18A are thick, though. A lot of them would be just as easily hunted with a bow as with a rifle.

I have encountered elk crossing Hwy 89 into unit 19B at night on several occasions. I know they are in there, but I need to put in the work to find them. I have an idea where to look, but that is only a start.

I drew an antlerless tag for hunt #3091 (Unit 17A, 17B, 18B, 19B, 20A, 20C) October 4th-17th. I am doing my homework and have already begun to scout this HUGE area. This will be the first elk hunt of my lifetime and my first time ever hunting on public land (other than for coyotes and prairie dogs). I know it's not a prime area and I expect the hunt to be difficult, but I am really looking forward to gaining some experience.

The biggest challenge will no doubt be finding the elk. I am working on that part! But, I do have some questions regarding conditions in the area. First, what is the typical rut period for elk in northern Arizona? I have done some research on the topic, but haven't found anything specific to the area, only the general statement that the elk rut is centered around the fall equinox (September 23rd, this year). Does that hold true in every geographic area?

Secondly, what are the typical weather conditions that time of year? I am expecting relatively warm conditions in early October, given that the monsoons will have ended only a short time before the season starts. I ask this question with animal behavior patterns in mind, rather than gear selection.

I am also wondering about hunting pressure during this time. I know 150 tags were issued for this hunt, but that doesn't tell me much about what to expect. Do hunters in this area tend to cluster in specific locations? What are common tactics for this area and time of year? Do most other hunters road hunt? Do they sit on waterholes? Etc, etc... I am asking this because I expect to have to plan my hunting locations and methods, and camping locations, around other hunters in the area. I am not really sure what to expect for overall hunter activity.

EDIT: Entered 19A in error. Correct unit is 19B.

My first ever elk hunt left me eating tag soup, but I learned a lot, and enjoyed every minute of my time afield. As I mentioned when I started this thread, I drew an antlerless tag. Naturally, that meant that I didn't see a single cow. I DID see two immature bulls, which I would not have hesitated to put in the freezer if I had the proper tag.

Along the way, I started to gather answers to the questions I had previously posed:

First, what is the typical rut period for elk in northern Arizona?

I am not sure what the typical rut period is, but my best guess is that the rut was still on during my October hunt. I never heard an elk bugle during my hunt, but hunters in neighboring areas were reporting heavy bugling activity. The two immature bulls that I encountered were both alone. Prior to the season, I am certain that these same bulls were members of the herd that my hunting partner and I had been scouting. My best guess is that these bulls had been ejected from the herd once the rut had commenced.

Secondly, what are the typical weather conditions that time of year?

While I am not sure what is typical for the area at that time of year, the conditions during my hunt last year were very favorable. Morning temps ranged from the low 20's to low 30's. Daytime temps were mostly in the 50's and 60's. The days were dry, bright, and sunny. My partner drew a late season tag and conditions during that period were wetter, snowier, muddier, and colder. Again, I don't know if those conditions are typical for the area or not. Time will tell...

One aspect of conditions that I did not take into account was moon phase. A week prior to the opening of rifle season, my partner and I did some final scouting and confirmed the herd we had located was still in the area. At that time, archery season was open in those units and the elk were appearing in certain areas, at very regular times, during daylight hours. A week later, at the opening of rifle season, that had changed radically. Fresh sign, left on a daily basis, indicated the elk were still present, but they were not showing themselves during shooting hours. Given that there seemed to be very little hunting pressure, this was a head scratcher. Following the season, conversations with more experienced elk hunters in the area indicated that the behavioral shift toward more nocturnal activity was a result of the moon phase at the time (which was at or near full moon during the duration of my hunt). Going forward, I plan to keep a more careful eye on moon phase while planning my hunts. It will be interesting to see what effect, if any, that will have on my success.

I am also wondering about hunting pressure during this time.
Do hunters in this area tend to cluster in specific locations? What are common tactics for this area and time of year? Do most other hunters road hunt? Do they sit on waterholes?

During my hunt, I saw very few other hunters, so I cannot speak to common tactics for the area. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that other hunters were not much of a factor in the area. For now, at least, I don't feel the need to anticipate the actions of other hunters when planning my hunt or when deciding upon tactics.

I put in for the elk draw again this year and included this same hunt among my choices. I know that I have been drawn again, because my CC has been charged for the tag, but I cannot see the draw details yet, so I don't know the specifics. I DO KNOW that I am looking forward to getting another chance to hunt elk and more opportunities to grow and learn in the coming year!

Last edited:
Racer, the elk hunting this last fall in your units was poor. Very little summer rain in many areas. Our cow hunt just northwest of yours had as much edible feed as the center lane of I-40. Applied for other units this year. Bet you drew the limited opportunity hunt again. It's the easiest draw.

Racer, the elk hunting this last fall in your units was poor. Very little summer rain in many areas. Our cow hunt just northwest of yours had as much edible feed as the center lane of I-40. Applied for other units this year. Bet you drew the limited opportunity hunt again. It's the easiest draw.

Yeah. Spring was wet, but monsoons were virtually nonexistent. Most of the locals I know put elk in their freezers. They were hunting nearby (mostly in 10 and 18A, I think), but not in the same unit(s) I was.

My guess is that I probably did draw the limited opportunity hunt again. I am OK with that. Finding elk really wasn't a problem. Finding the RIGHT elk during shooting hours was the issue. I am hoping I drew an ANY ELK tag. I would have taken something home last season if I had one of those.

I am learning the territory and will actually be in a position to spend MORE time this year scouting than last, though my personal circumstances will allow LESS time hunting this year. There are some places in the more southerly portion of the area that burned last year. I am curious to see if the newly burned areas will be a draw for game animals.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the monsoons will be kinder to us this year...

They should be in some form of rut, work on your calls. If you aren't seeing Elk move. It's not deer hunting when Elk are present you're going to see them. Learn the area (scout, scout and the scout some more) have a plan that includes 4 locations to hunt daily.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.