Drew a west Kansas Muzzleloader tag

I was just west of there near Ashland not too awful long ago. And I've hunted just south of the OK border to the south of the Red Hills. I can tell you that in the areas I hunted, there are 200" Typicals walking around in the 5 - 6 1/2yo range. I got a 6 1/2yo bruiser, but mine only scored 151. He weighed around 280lbs, however. Lots of cattle farms and other farms in that area. High sage and canyons amongst the buttes, mesas, and high rolling hills there for deer to hide long enough to get huge. My kill was only 110 yards taken with a 250gr Barnes bullet. I missed one 2 or 3 years before that just inside Oklahoma that was a typical 10pt and would have dwarfed the old 6 1/2yo guy. He was an estimated 185" then, and was photographed again the following year even heavier with what had to be close to a 200" score. Those things look like dinosaurs compared to our deer in Mississippi. This guys brow tines were maybe 12 - 14". All 5 points on each side were about equally long with a spread that looked to be 24" or a little more. (They had him on trail cam a few times and I saw him personally through a riflescope at 99 yards away. I'll never get a chance at a deer that big again. Good luck! The numbers are very good around those parts. You will see 150 - 160-inchers running around everywhere. I saw way more bucks than does. Everybody knows about Kansas, but I think NW OK near the Kansas border is one of the best kept secrets in the country for world class whitetail hunting.

Grew up in Kansas and hunt whitetails & muleys there every year. I'm around Hill City area in NW Kansas though so have not hunted the Red Hills area. Have family is Dodge City though. Good luck to you. Some monsters in KS

What is the strategy for beginners on that terrains? I will be on public and nothing set in place ahead of time outside studying maps.

Should I plan on glassing higher vantage points?

Yes, absolutely. We glassed from the tops of the buttes lying prone with a good spotting scope. Not sure if there are the buttes where you'll be, but there will definitely be hills large enough to spot from. The terrain looks open from a distance, but the sage and other vegetation was well over knee high in the cattle ranch I hunted. Not tall enough to fully hide a large buck unless he's lying down, but large enough it will wear you out in a 100 yards of trying to wade through/across it! The mile stalk we make on this guy was a near-death experience for me. I didn't think I needed to be in shape for Kansas. 🤣 We had to move very quickly (run) through the high stuff to the vehicle we left on the trail, drive around 1/2 mile behind the canyon (my guide was a very recently removed Strong Safety/Linebacker for OU, who had moved to KC, but came back home to help his dad guide- I was 47yo and so far out of shape as to not be recognizable from my days his age). Once situated down wind sufficiently far, we had to move fast in a crouched position because we didn't know how far down in the canyon he was (where we caught him slipping in around 8am). About 200 yards from the rim, we duck-walked maybe half the distance, then low-crawled to the rim. These are terms military guys will know... Let me tell you, I did not know there was cactus growing in Kansas... I found out on that crawl! You guys who live there or hunt there can laugh uncontrollably now! By the time we got to the edge (and he had to wait on me to close the gap), I was so exhausted that my lungs went into an exercise-induced asthmatic attack. That's a real medical term if you want to check it out. What that means is I couldn't breathe without wheezing and COUGHING uncontrollably! COUGHING at the rim of the canyon holding the largest deer (well, 2nd largest) I've ever seen on the hoof. I tried to shove my face in my fanny pack (full of powder, bullets, lube, etc. That would double as a rifle rest). The guide was visibly upset with me, but was trying to be as understanding as possible after busting his rear end to get a guy in perfect position on the deer of a lifetime. I fought it for 10 minutes or so and finally edged up to the canyon rim tasting blood in the very thin liquid pooring out of my mouth and down my throat. Fortunately for me, the deer was bedded at the bottom of the canyon on the opposite side and there was a good 40 - 50mph quartering headwind blowing between us that rattled the sage sufficiently at the 110yd measured distance to muffle my coughs and attempts to suck air. I got my pack under my rifle and was able to lie there and recuperate for most of an hour before the big boy stood up. I went over my shot placement with my guide. He asked me again where I was going to place the crosshair. We had discussed it earlier. I reiterated I was sighted in 6" high @100yds. (expecting a 300yd shot.) I was loaded hot at over 2400 ft/s on the chronograph over several shots back home. I recalled missing the B&C giant in OK a couple years prior. This was the same exact set up. Steep downward angle shot into near gale-force winds, sighted in high right around 100 yards. I shot over the OK deer. Twice. I didn't know it at the time. I explained again to the guide I was going to aim for the hairline underneath the deer. He cringed at this and asked if I was sure. I replied, "Yep." When the deer stood, he took his time turning around for a broadside shot. When he did, he offered his left side. Since the wind was pretty much 90 degrees to my bullet path (Point of Aim, anyway), I aimed center mass and dropped the crosshair just underneath his belly on the hairline. When the smoke cleared, the guide was ecstatic. He reported the deer dropped like a lightening bolt hit him, but... he wasn't finished. I had to reload and go finish the job. That was another sprint. Mostly downhill, but over some rough and very uneven terrain. When I finished the big boy off, we found that my decision on the elevation of the aiming point was spot on. I hit the deer in the spine. ANY higher, and I would have shot right over him just like before. However, the decision to aim farther back instead of under the chest was costly. The wind didn't seem to push the bullet any at all. I guess at 110 yards traveling over 2400ft/s, that Barnes 250gr slug had enough BC not to move much. It may have been shielded from much of the wind as it entered the canyon, also.

It's a game of inches. Practice and be in shape. We had to drag that thing up out of the canyon. Boy was I glad I had a young stud guide with me! Now that canyon wasn't like the canyon I tried to access in NW Nevada in 2014, but trying to drag a 280lb whitetail with large horns through big knee-high-plus brush straight up was more than I could have handled. It was pretty much all him by the time we got half way up. He just about had to drag me out, too. When we hoisted the deer out on the rim, I collapsed and lay on my back sucking wind for a solid 15 minutes trying not to choke on my own blood and fluid. We had to quarter him on the tailgate of the truck. I spent the night deboning all the meat. Fortunately, we weren't in a CWD unit. In a Kansas CWD unit, you can't remove any bone or brain material from the unit. You have to bury everything where you clean/quarter it, which has to pretty much be where you killed it. And apply the tag before you move the deer. They started having you tag the back leg, not the horns, and then you have to take pictures and report your harvest. Before moving! Know the rules and be in shape. Practice various angles and distances with your load of choice. Good luck and enjoy the scenery! Oh, FYI, mosquitoes will eat you alive before daylight or after dark! I'm not kidding! I live in Southern swamp country and I know a thing or 2 about mosquitos... I would NEVER have believed anyone telling me that if I hadn't experienced it for myself! They will tote you off before the sun heats it up! Wear sleeves and a head net (or have one with you)! That was in one of the dryest places they had! I was about 60 miles SSE of Dodge City.

Last edited:
Awesome story thank you so much for all the detail
Sounds like a hunt dreams are made of! I can only hope I am in shape to push myself to where I want to be while there :)
Glad you were able to bring it all together and end with a heck of a story and an awesome trophy to boot!!

Thanks again for the help!!

Last edited:
Hunted north central Kansas last year and they have some really nice Whitetails. Was not so fortunate this year although I have a preference point for next year.

Good Luck and keep us posted. Hunting new territory is always exciting. I made my first trip to bow hunt out of treestands in Ohio last year and it was a blast. Completely different from our whitetail stand hunting in my part of Montana. I am sure you will have a great time.

I hang and hunt here in NE Tennessee and Ohio. Fun to take on new challengers

Out of curiosity
What kind of temps are happening typically in NW KS mid Sept? Are you all still in 80-90s??

I have never been in the state of Kansas
Always wanted to visit and hunt there.
Looking forward to a new challenge of deer hunting around the Red Hills area
Any members hunt that region?
GOT A 175+ LAST YEAR JUST NORTH OF THERE WITH MY MUZZLELOADER. I AM A KANSAS RESIDENT SO CAN HUNT EITHER SPECIES EVERY YEAR OVER THE COUNTER. BEST BET IN SEPTEMBER IF WATER SHORT AND WE HAVE BEEN IN A DROUGHT YOU SEVERAL YEARS IS WATERHOLES - EVEN STOCK TANKS ESPECIALLY FOR MUZZLELOADERS. MULEY ROAM A LARGE TERRITORY HERE IN WESTERN KANSAS AND LUCK IS NEEDED TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. I ENDED UP GETTING MINE IN THE REGULAR RIFLE SEASON IN DECEMBER. IN KANSAS YOU CAN HUNT BOTH SEASONS IF YOU HAVE A MUZZLELOADER PERMIT.

Out of curiosity
What kind of temps are happening typically in NW KS mid Sept? Are you all still in 80-90s??
90s TO 100s + LAST YEAR HERE IN NORTHWEST KANSAS AND WINDY

Out of curiosity
90s TO 100s + LAST YEAR HERE IN NORTHWEST KANSAS AND WINDY