Drew a MT Breaks Elk tag

platapus

27 years, 17 bonus points, and 8 years as a nonresident, 410-20 rifle tag.

Pretty excited to say the least. I drew a cow tag last year and was successful. Me and my hunting partner hauled her out in one trip 3 miles back. Not fun lol.

Scouting is going to be a little difficult as I'm 7 hours away but will get in a few 3 day weekends.

Biggest hurdle is getting back in shape, I'll be 48 this year. I'm dedicated and will start now.

Too bad it's not what it used to be. Was world class now a 320-330 is considered a success.

MT257, true but still has some really nice bulls there. This bull was taken last season from there..not by me..a friendsmall son took him. Still fun to hunt the breaks..MOP

Attachments

• IMG_2886.jpg
    IMG_2886.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 710
Been hunting the Breaks for 20 years now. I saw big bull then and still do now. Everyone thinks they are going to go shoot a 400" bull when they get one of these tags. Fact is there has never been very many of those. It is a rare thing to happen in the wild. Hunt hard and you have a great chance of getting a "big" bull. Congrats on your upcoming hunt. It will be a hunt of a lifetime no matter how it ends.

My expectations are more realistic than most, especially up there. I have two friends who have shot 380+ bulls, those two are the exception and not the rule.

I've hunted up there for deer and cows for about the same amount of time and have seen a pile of elk. Only a couple of monsters.

There are a lot of road hunters up there, I am not one of them. I know a couple areas that hold elk and that's where I'll be, miles from the roads.

As the season goes on, they get further and further back. I just hope to get a decent bull and a lifetime of memories.

I agree big bulls are few and far between any where. As stated you will see elk. I just wish the opportunity management mindset wouldn't apply to areas that have better than average potential.