Dream sheep gun

6.5 SAUM built on a Titanium R700/clone S/A, #3 8.7 twist Barlien, finished at 24", threaded with break

Timney Calvin Elite Trigger set at 2.0lbs

Manners EH6 stock

Rifle w/o scope should be ~6.0 lbs.

I just had mine built =) I'll just say, I'm not a big fan of overly light rifles.
Mine has a Fierce action (match-grade Sako style/CRF)
Fluted Bartlein #3 barrel
McMillan Sako Hunter
It's getting topped with a Nightforce SHV 3-10 in Seekins 30mm rings and a picatanny base.
Chambered in 7mm SS and will be pushing either Berger 168gr VLDs or Hornady 162 ELD Xs =)

I saw a Bosley rifle at Barney's in Anchorage before my 2013 hunt. It was a neat mountain rifle. Not sure how it shoots though.

I already have mine. Forbes' ULA action, Kenny Jarrett did the barrel, bead-blasted light weight stock, Leupold VX-3 with CDS turrets in .308 Win. It's a tack-driver.

I just put a deposit on mine.

Crescent customs
7mm rem mag
Rem 700 receiver. Ptg bolt with m16 extractor
25" bartlein with removable vais break
McMillan htg in gap camo
Cerakote in mil spec OD green.

That's the basic spec. Just ordered it so about 8-9 months until I see it. Would like to top with a nightforce but they are heavy. Will probably top with a leupold 4.5-14x40. Either a mark4 or a vx3 with m1 turrets

I just posted in the other sheep rifle thread.I would go with (have gone with) Factory rifle lightened and shortened.A sheep rifle gets beat up badly.It is a little unconventional but my latest is a Browning BLR takedown, scout style (long eye relief 2x7 Burris scope) I really like it , you can take it down to put in a pack easily and holds a poi.Sheep need scrutinizing so getting close is paramount to evaluate-even with a spotting scope.This leaves money for a even more important purchase-good boots.

Mine is partially complete... Doing everything in steps...
Have a 300 RUM with night force ..

Want to upgrade stock to a manners or McMillan with a jewel trigger

Waiting for a general purpose long-range gun to come in but the parts I've collected for my mountain gun are as follows.
7 ultramag is the plan
Rem 700 LA
Shilen heavy palma 1:8 7mm barrel to finish at 30"
McMillan A2 stock solid fill
Atlas bipod

Need a Jewell trigger and probably a nightforce shv 4-14x56. It won't be light but with out having to carry crampons, ropes, pickets or other climbing gear the weight should be offset from my typical high altitude adventures.

Waiting for a general purpose long-range gun to come in but the parts I've collected for my mountain gun are as follows.
7 ultramag is the plan
Rem 700 LA
Shilen heavy palma 1:8 7mm barrel to finish at 30"
McMillan A2 stock solid fill
Atlas bipod

Need a Jewell trigger and probably a nightforce shv 4-14x56. It won't be light but with out having to carry crampons, ropes, pickets or other climbing gear the weight should be offset from my typical high altitude adventures.

I've not started down the sheep hunting path yet but I have a rifle similar to yours in the works!!

7RUM
Rem 700 LA trued
26" Proof Sendero Light
McMillan Game Scout (Edge Fill)
Leupold Mk4 base/rings
Vortex HSLR 4-16x50 FFP

I am a sheep hunter and around here it has got to be short and light. I don't even use a bolt action rifle anymore.I use a Browning blr takedown. WHEN I take it down it can easily fit into a backpack and holds its zero.I also shortened the barrel to 19" and the l.o.p. to 13".This rifle has A long eye relief scope on it as well (scout style) For climbing in the rocks this is ideal.Cheers

On my first sheep hunt I carried a 11# M70 in 270 Win.

It went well but I realized that was WAY too heavy!

On my return I put a couple rifles together:

Top rifle is a 700 Ti in 270 that is 6lb 2oz ready to roll and the bottom is a M700 in 300 WSM that is 7lb 4oz.

On my Dalls sheep hunt I carried an 8.75# A-bolt 300WM. Killed appropriately as it should. I am too old for that weight.

Early model Forbes 24B at NULA in the process of rebarrel by Melvin in 280AI.
Backup Weatherby SBGM 30-06 (165 partitions at .75 MOA out to 400 yards)

Both 24 inch barrels around 6.5# with Leupold 3.5 X 10 scopes and lightweight sling.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.