Dream sheep gun

Having my "dream" sheep rifle built right now by Jon Beanland...terrific to work with. Components are: short action Lone Peak Razor Ti, 24" Proof Sendero light, Manners carbon stock (long wait), Trigger Tech Diamond, Sunny Hill machined alum. bottom metal, Hawkins rings, Swaro Z6i 5-30x50 w/ custom turret, and Neopod carbon/ polymer bipod that weighs a mere 4 oz. (and costs too much).

Saved caliber for last because it was quite a journey. Settled early on some sort of 6.5...the BC and long range performance on game is exceptional among lightweight, moderate recoil options. That said, the "short" action led to a "short" list. My finalists were 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Sherman Short Tactical, and 6.5 SAUM. As much as I admire Rich Sherman and his terrific work, I do not reload and the lack of available fully prepped cases etc. scared me off the SST...but great concept. PRC did not fit as well in the short action magazine as the SAUM and, I liked the extra 50-75 fps so I went with the SAUM. Going to have Copper Creek work up loads using both Berger 140 VLD's and their Elite Hunter bullets and will choose best performer. Jon tells me he's built many 6.5 SAUM's and a half dozen or so PRC's...he recommended the SAUM. Looking forward to some range time with this one.

Last edited:
I'm a little late on this thread but thought I'd share. A few years ago I decided on a take-down Blaser R8, synthetic stock, in 270 WSM, with a Zeiss 1.8-14 scope. I use Berger classic hunter 130s.

I wanted something light, versatile takedown if needed, with some reach. This set-up works really well.

• Remington 700 LH LA
• Manners carbon stock with a cheek pad like on my other rifle.
• 25" 1:8 twist .284 Proof CF barrel chambered in .280 AI.
• 20 MOA NF ultralight base & rings.
• 2-20 NX8 mil

175 or 180 Bergers, maybe a 175 Accubond LR.

Last edited:
An interesting list of "great guns".

On my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro - 6 lbs. 3 oz. sits a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44, mil/mil, illuminated G3 reticle - 28 oz. sitting in Talley rings w/ bubble level in rear ring, burnt bronze Cerakote to match rifle.

Yes there are lighter scopes but none that met my requirements like the Bushnell LRTS. However I am looking closely at some new Nightforce scopes. "The grass is always greener..."

Eric B.

Last edited:
Recently received a NULA model 20 in .284 Win that I order last October. Haven't drawn a sheep tag yet but killed a bull elk and a mulie buck over the past couple weeks with it. Really happy with this rifle. Probably order another for marmot hunting above timberline here in CO.

300 wsm
Tikka action
ultimate summit hells canyon carbon barrel 22 to 23in
ag carbon stock

Building my second sheep gun, had thought about going with a 700SA but finally decided on the following:

Kimber Montana 84
6.5x47 Lapua
1:8TW Lilja 84m modified contour 23.5"+ brake
Talley bases/rings
Leupold 12x fixed

should be a few more weeks before its back from the 'smith

Last edited:
Agree, they had some really nice ones there.

My choice has been a takedown rifle in 270WSM. It can reach out if needed, about 7# overall with a 22" barrel, and great terminal ballistics.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts