Dream sheep gun

My current favorites are either the Christensen Ridgeline in 26 Nosler topped with a Leica ER5
2-10x50, Or the Legendary Arms Works Professional chamber in 280 AI topped with a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x50.
20180521_134951.jpg
20180521_135546.jpg

image.jpg
Lone Peak Razor TI
21 1/4" Proof Sendero Lite cambered in 6.5 Creedmoor
Timney Calvin Elite
McMillian Hunters Edge
Leupold 4.5-14x40 w Greybull Precision Gen one reticle.
Running Lapua brass and CCI 450 primers behind a 130 JLK @2920
Spartan Precision bipod

This is my ultimate Sheep rifle.
Doing a rifle like CPG fan...

Proof Sendero Light 6.5 Creedmoor 20 in
Bell and Carlson medalist--sporter
Trigger tech trigger
CDI bottom metal with 5 round mag
Remington 700 with metal removed--fluted on the out side

This thing is going to be a flyweight

My latest Ultralight build, 6.5-284 built on a Kimber Montana 84M donor rifle,
Action slabbed, Alloy bolt Knob, light alloy trigger guard
High Comb added to the stock, mag box opened up to 3"
22" SS Benchmark 1-8 twist,5r,31 contour barrel with a custom brake added for a total barrel length of 24"
Talleys and a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 Z-Plex scope

I, like many others, probably won't be able to afford a sheep hunt until close to retirement (other family priorities). #1 on my "list" would be a Dall Sheep, #2 is a Goat. Full-body mount on both. . . . dream big right??

I'm a few months out from receiving my dream rifle.

stockys LR VG2 Carbon Fiber Stock
Proof Research Barrel in .284- 24" Sendero Light 1:8.44 Twist
Thread & Crown Muzzle w/ Timed side discharge brake & thread protector
Trued Remington 700 Receiver L/A Magnum Stainless
Flute Bolt, M-16 Extractor, Skeletonize handle, Custom Bolt Knob, Speedlock firing pin, Custom firing pin Shroud
Trigger Tech Trigger
BDL Bottom Metal
Recoil Lug
2 Piece 20 MOA Scope Bases (NF)
Badger Ordinance Rings
Full Length Action Stock Bedding

Chambered in 7 RM.
Leupold VX6 4-24x52 with Varmint Reticle and CDS turrets.

Should be close to 8.5 lbs w/ scope.

Here she is. Took her on a spring bear hunt and a Sitka Blacktail Hunt on POW.

upload_2018-9-29_8-30-52.jpeg

upload_2018-9-29_8-32-20.jpeg

upload_2018-9-29_8-32-50.jpeg

P3141635.jpg
After much searching I think I've found my (nearly) perfect mountain rifle and bought it.
-> 6.5 PRC BROWNING X-BOLT PRO
1. 6 lbs. 3 oz. (short action version)
2. stainless barreled action
3. spiral fluted bolt
4. fluted barrel
5. threaded muzzle brake and cap
6. carbon fiber 360 deg. wrapped stock
7. bronze Cerakoated barreled action and stock
8. proprietary factory barrel lapping process

SCOPE: (in photo) SWFA 3 - 15 x 42 mil/mil turrets/reticle, side focus, Talley bronze Cerakote rings W/level
CURRENT SCOPE: Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 W/ illuminated G3 reticle and the above features.

With all these extra features this rifle comes under the "semi custom" heading.
This rifle shoots 1/2 MOA groups with Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M as well as 143 gr. ELD-X. Amazing.

@CountryBumpkin
I said this is my (nearly) perfect mountain rifle. But I lust after Country Bumpkin's Proof Research Sendero Light barrel.

Last edited:
@CountryBumpkin
I said this is my (nearly) perfect mountain rifle. But I lust after Country Bumpkin's Proof Research Sendero Light barrel.

Eric B.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, the X-Bolt looks pretty sweet. I didn't look very far, but is there an accuracy guarantee?

Another option, I'm sure you already know, if you wanted a CF Barrel (not proof) would be the Ridgeline. A couple more ounces and the sane price point.

https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline/

Country,
I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Pro Tungsten Browning tomorrow. I found one in 6.5 CM for $1,760. so that looks like it. Yeah, it has that scary fast 1:7 twist so I may be shooting only 143 gr. and higher weights.

As for the Proof Research barrels, I'm a big fan of the way PR lays on the carbon fiber with an overlapping criss-cross "Maypole ribbon" method. A couple decades ago the Norwegian company SWIX developed carbon fiber cross country racing ski poles that same way.
I loved them for XC racing and they were soooo light and very stiff. No wasted energy going into bending a ski pole as with fiberglass poles. When I raced with them I felt like Superman. Of course I also had ultra light, skinny racing skis with aluminum honeycomb cores so that helped a lot too. Was I fast? Well, like the Burt Reynolds football movie, I was "semi-fast". ;o)

I will likely add that PR carbon fiber wrapped barrel in a few years. I mean with that advanced CF stock Browning has why not? And the 6.5 CM cartridge is no bruiser so a very light rifle would be no problem. My .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker, on the other hand, is a much different story. But I gotta save up for the Vortex Razor AMG 4 - 24 x 50 scope I want on top of that Browning. THEN the PR barrel.

Eric B.

I'm no expert and will be watching this thread as a sheep and goat gun is in my future as well... But to throw something new and different out here.. I've been drooling over the Kimber Adirondack in a 6.5 Creedmoor... Just wish it had a couple more inches of barrel length. What I really want is for them to wake up and chamber the Mountain Ascent in the Creedmoor, same weight and a 22" barrel vs. the 18" on Adirondack. I'll give em a year and see what comes. I would love to put the sleek and light weight Z3 3-9 x 36 scope on it but for 500 yards I would go with a Z5 3.5-18 or the Zeiss 3-15 that Kimber sells with matching camo. Thinking I'd also drop the bucks for the one piece aluminum Talley rings.

The Creedmoor is a legit 500 yard caliber with recoil akin to a 243. At 500 yards it delivers 1200 Foot Pounds at still over 2000 fps, that should take down a sheep cleanly and not hurt to bad to shoot in the lightest weight production bolt gun available.

But I have never hunted sheep nor high mountains... I just know that at altitude those ounces can feel like pounds so I want a light weight gun that can do the job. I'm sure there are many other great options with marginally more weight and much more power.

I know from a few sheep hunts I've been on, fly-ins etc
Where ever you can shed a few pounds its meaningful as a lot of the hiking is brutal, you'll be much happier back packing a 6lb rifle as opposed to a 9lb rifle, when your hiking 15-30 kilometres in a day by the end of each day your thinking how can I shed a few lbs !
As others have mentioned sheep are easy to kill so as far as calibers go it's whatever your happy with as 6.5CM, 270 win or 300 wsm ? Etc are all going to kill.
SS Lightweight and compact with an optically tough scope is in order if your doing any amount of backpacking.

View attachment 87450 Tikka T3 Lite stainless left hand

Benchmark #3 stainless fluted barrel finished at 25 1/2" @0.6425
1:9 twist 5R rifling chambered in .280 AI SAAMI

McMillan Ultralight Hunters Edge (graphite), Pachmayr Decelerator pad, sling studs Black/grey/olive speckletone finish

Atlasworxs Tikka T3 aluminum trigger guard, using original and extended Tikka magazine

Lumley Arms titanium bolt shroud

Lumley Arms titanium/carbon fibre bolt handle (not used while hunting)

DNZ Game Reaper one piece aluminum scope mount (low)

Swarovski Z3 3 1/2 x 18 x 44 BT 4W with 3" sunshade (Primary Arms)

Barrel, action, bolt and shroud KG Gun Kote black satin finish

Spartan Javelin carbon ultra light 6-9" bipod

Gunsmith: Garry Flach, Langley, BC

Weight? Just right for "almost everything" rifle

H4831 59gr 168 Barnes LRX 5/8" @100Y still working on others
The bolt is on the wrong side.

Steve

Reading this thread over the past couple weeks got me thinking... so I ordered a NULA in .284. My Allen Precision .270 WSM and Schmidt Bender PMII 4-16x50 with Hollands ART reticle are going up for sale.

Reading this thread over the past couple weeks got me thinking... so I ordered a NULA in .284. My Allen Precision .270 WSM and Schmidt Bender PMII 4-16x50 with Hollands ART reticle are going up for sale.
Sounds like a good decision! What optic you going with?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.