Dream hunt or Car?

Thanks for all the responses. I know i should invest it or save it for the kids college fund ,but this past year has me thinking how short like can be. I've already had a 57chevy and a Pro street 64Nova so i know alittle about the car sickness! I guess one word could describe my feelings Bucketlist!! I will probably take the wife on a elk hunt,but brown bear and sheep still aren't out of the question let! Oh i don't plan on finishing the car till late 2011.

You should, if you haven't already, instill a hard work ethic in the kids with regards to schooling so they can compete for scholarships. Also guide them to choose college programs that pay for themselves (ie professional degrees, not something that won't earn enough to pay back the cost of the program). They should be paying primarily with scholarships, loans and work while you and your wife plan for retirement. Sinking your retirement funding into your kids' college is not financially wise, and often not necessary for them to get it and succeed.

Oh yeah, and going on a nice hunt or two. Check out DIY hunts....I am so glad I put the work into DIY versus going with an outfitter (though not always an option), I have so much more fun on my trips and I can afford to do it yearly instead of once a decade.

i'm with ATH, his remark was spot on! you're a family man first, with responsibilities to your wife and kids. when the kids are out and on their own, then you can "blow" a bunch on yourself, if it's OK with the wife. i'm also a believer in the DIY hunts. so much more rewarding when "your" plan comes together.

This is a tough one, but if you are otherwise financially ok and the sheep hunt is a major dream of yours and your wife is really ok with it then go for the sheep hunt. If you're not sure right now, just hold on to the car or the money until you are. I also think the elk hunt with the wife or some other family acivity would be great too.

My 2 cents......
My grandpaw had to have a triple by pass surgery and his health was rapidly fading away . He did manage to go on a colorado hunt I was invited but didn't have enough vacation time for the time of the hunt.
I decided to go on the hunt in Colorado with my grandpaw and father . I left my job to do so I knew when I got back home I would be on the HUNT for a job . I thought about my decision pretty hard (I was single at the time) I thought what if grandpaw will never be in good enough health to go on a hunt like this again and I miss the hunt with he and my dad . So I went with him , turns out i made a good decision because he has never been able to go out their and hunt because of his health . I have PRICELESS memories of that hunt with him and I'm so glad that I went while we all could be together . I would do a hunt that would allow me to take along the family because funds may not be their in the future to go .

P.S. I have had several mustangs growing up and I wouldn't trade the 1 Elk hunt with my grandfather for ALL of my cars .

Hot rods are like boats a hole in the water to throw your money into:D

BigBuck

A fully guided and outfitted sheep hunt is quite expensive. If for some reason the hunt does not go as planned; injury, missed shot, no legal rams spotted, crappy outfitter, crappier weather. And you go home empty, that will be a lasting reminder that you did the wrong thing, you may feel some guilt at depriving the familly of those funds. 10 years down the road you may still regret the choice as your crippled up body works overtime to get the kids thru colledge. Your wife may even go so far as to demonize your hunting addiction, and turn your own children against you.

Can You live with that possibility and deal with the consequences.

THEN GO ON THE SHEEP HUNT!

Definitely sale the car. Don't worry about college, by the time they are old enough to go it will cost so much that there is no way you or them will be able to afford to go anyway. Go hunting! I have never hunted sheep before but I have been to Africa and I would strongly suggest going there instead of the super over priced sheep hunt. You only get to pull the trigger once on the sheep hunt, in Africa you would most likely shoot at least five animals for much less than that one sheep. Just my 2 cents

If your wife and kids are into hunting, take them hunting. Sounds morbid but seemingly healthy people have heart attacks or get cancer and kill over every day from 30 on up. Dall sheep may be a dream but maybe if you saved for a few years you could do it in the next five or ten years. But the memories you make with your kids will far outlast your own life and will mean the world to them when they are older. I went on an elk hunt, possibly my fathers last, a few years ago with him, my step brother and my cousin that he had a big part in raising, we didn't get one but it is a memory that I will cherish untill I am gone. If anything was to happen to you or your wife to make it impossible for you to get another chance at taking her or your kids on a good hunt, you will never regret your decision to do it when you were able, on the other hand I am sure that you would never have any grudge against them if you never get a dall sheep. The fact that you are asking for opinions tells me that. cherish your time with your wife and kids, if someday in the future you have the extra to do something just for you then do it. If it never happens, your money will have been well spent on the hunt with your family, and you won't leave this world with any regrets. I didn't read the whole thread so if some of this has been mentioned forgive me. I am not married but I have three daughters of which I have joint custody, I have them half of the time, the other half I am working, I don't get to hunt or fly fish as much as I would like, but I would not trade my time with them for anything in the world and I never regret not getting to do things that I would like to do. when they are old enough I am sure they will hunt and fish with me and I look forward to that time, but right now I have everything I need and they have me at their disposal any time they need me and always will. If you choose doing something for yourself over doing something with your family, and never get a chance to do those things, you will always wish you had. I hope this doesn't strike any nerve with you, just kind of hits home with me.

I posted this on a differentsite and got alot of mixed replys just wondering what the pros here would do? Ok here is the big question. Like many of you here on LRH i am a 37 year old, blue collar married father of 3 girls . I have a 1969 Chevelle big block convertable that i am restoring (80% done).Would you sell it and spend all the $ on one big hunt or 2-4 smaller hunts? I am not getting any younger and have lost intrest in hotrods ,so its time to finish this car and get it sold. I have dreamed of a Dall sheep hunt since i was very young as well as a brown bear. I have also thought about taking my wife on a elk hunt.What would you guys go on? Whitetails are out of the question,i already have a B&C and multiple P&Y bucks . My old man thinks i am nuts for wanting to sell it but cars are just not my thing anymore.
Familqy photo safari in Africa

Recent Posts