Dream hunt animal

We did not have to take any meat from my Brown bear. just hide and skull...Last time i was at SCI, an outfitter was offering a Slam for just 300K... It would be a dream hunt, but not one i am prepared to pay for...

Show my ignorance here. What animals are in the Slam? Not that I can afford even 10% of it, just an educational question.

Ok. Part two 🙄 so we watched rams and when they went over we hauled butt to base of Mtn. they were on. I left my pack at bottom. We snuck up to top of ridge and I slowly peeked over. A ram with half a horn broke of was looking right at me from less than 10 yds.. They all took off running on the ridge around to my left. I told buddy to range them. He was giving me ranges . The biggest ram was in the lead. When he said 306 the Ram stopped and I shot. I knew I hit him high chest below spine. It polaxed him and he went *** over head. I got a refferance point of a burnt tree stump. I told him to grab my pack and I'll walk the Ridgeline over to that point. It had rained and the tracks were easy to see. I got to burnt stump and nothing in site !?! Part 3 tomorrow.
Just kidding! He came around the bottom and I was searching all over. I followed tracks. Looked down backside canyon and over other side .Couldn't find the ram. My buddy said are you sure you hit him. He didn't see it go down . I said I polaxed him and saw him do an endover. We searched till dark. Hung packs in the trees. Bears are all over there. We came back in the morning and I hiked up to opposite side from where I shot. Found burnt stump. Walk to it and started all over again. My buddy was freaking out . You didn't hit him. You wouded him, etc. I said shut up. He's dead and I'll find him. About 1/2 hr. Later it came to me. Where he stopped. In front of him was a small drainage down the mountain. Covered with brush. I kneeled down to look under brush and about a hundred yards down I saw a patch of hair. I yelled to buddy I think I see him. I worked my way down to spot. Sure enough there he was under brush in drainage. He endoed in drainage and slid down about 100 yds. I pulled him out and buddy danced around like a fool. It kept the ram in the shade thank God . I started cutting him up. Buddy says aren't you going to do a life size mount ? I laughed and said if you'll pay for. I capped for a shoulder mount. We loaded packs and only had about 1.5 mi. To truck. A side story. We saw this same ram scouting before season. He was with 4 other smaller rams. We guessed his bases at 15 in.. added up 4 sections on horns . Came out to 170-172 in. 168 in. Makes book. We took him home and called game and fish warden came out to measure and plug horn. The ram had 14 in. bases... Not 15 in. Scored 163. Add 4 in. per side. Would of been 171 in. Close guess. He was upset. I told him I'm not into scores or books. I was happy we got the ram we watched for 2 months.. I shot him Jan. 2003. Next to my son being born, was the best time in my life. Ta Da ! Done !

Last edited:
Ice age elk

You said dream...

View attachment 386091

The Irish elk stood about 2.1 m (6 ft 11 in) tall at the shoulders and carried the largest antlers of any known deer, a maximum of 3.65 m (12.0 ft) from tip to tip and 40 kg (88 lb) in weight.
That's dry looking for ice age. Maybe global warming happening ? Back then I guess moose and elk mated...? Lol. I've seen same photos. It would be a wicked mount !

Last edited:
Where I used to live I'd hike way back into this canyon that I deer and bear hunted in. There were Bighorn's there. I've watched them butt heads a few times. in 1988 I had photos printed in The Society for Conservation of Bighorn Sheep magazine of 4 rams I got within 33 yards of. They hadn't been hunted yet so weren't spooky. I thought dang, bow shot there. 2 we're big and mature. I used to camp in this one spot by the river and in the morning I'd here rocks rolling down the mountain. I'd would wake me up. They would come down to drink within 50 yds of me. They started giving a tag or two in that area in late 90's. I always applied. Nada. Then I 2002 they went to a point system. 3 times as many people applied for sheep tags. They had two for my area. I applied and drew ! With no points and triple the people applying. I knew right where to go. First trip saw rams but nothing big. Second trip was on way out with buddy. Man this story could be long. I remember it like yesterday. I stopped him and said listen.... Sounded like big rocks hitting together. I said rams butting heads ! Got down and got spotting scope out. Found 7 rams on mountain about 1/4 mi. or more from us. My stories are always so dang long. If you want to hear ending let me know. 😉
I want to hear the WHOLE story, no details spared.

This was a "blueberry bear" taken up high in the blueberry hills in mid Sept, far from any river or creek with fish in it, some of the rolling blueberry hills will turn your atv tires blue when you drive through them, the fat had a slight bluish,grey tint and smelled like blueberries .

after skinning the bear, my hands had a strong odor of blueberries & bear fat for days and lingered over a week

lots of folks out here prefer the fall berry bears over the spring skinny's, nobody I know of will eat a griz/brown bear, no matter what time of year, the griz I took this Spring was absolutely rank and has a strong rancid smell that choked me out as I was skinning him .... not gonna eat that, no way

...View attachment 386107View attachment 386108
That's awesome !

I could see how coastal would be fishy, like sea ducks. I saw I think on here someone compared bear to pork so I'm willing to give it a try
Black Bear is nothing like pork other than making shure to cook it to 160 ish. Taste is closer to beef. At least early North Idaho Bear killed in the spring. Mountain Lion taste more like pork.

Recent Posts