Dream hunt animal

This has been an interesting thread. I have had the opportunity to hunt many of the animals that I dreamed of growing up. I would like to go back to Alaska for a big bull moose and a large grizzly or brownie that I never shot while living there. Big black bear and mountain lion are on my list also. And any animal with any of my six kids (that are not kids anymore).

This has been an interesting thread. I have had the opportunity to hunt many of the animals that I dreamed of growing up. I would like to go back to Alaska for a big bull moose and a large grizzly or brownie that I never shot while living there. Big black bear and mountain lion are on my list also. And any animal with any of my six kids (that are not kids anymore).
👍🏻🇺🇸

BanBam, is that picture faked. It isn't possible to get a caribou without $200 camo and a 300 RUM, is it?

For those of you who have the time, and not the money, A self-guided elk hunt is entirely doable. If you have time to come a week before the hunt to scout and acclimate to the altitude, you have a good chance of getting an elk. NM has lots of public land and reserves 6% of the tags for non-residents applying without an outfitter. In southern NM, the altitudes aren't extreme either. I've killed bulls at 7000'. Because it usually so dry here, sitting on a tank can be very productive. Muzzleloader season is in October, so the weather is mild and some bulls may still respond to a bugle. A Hoochie Mama elk call works to stop them, and is fool proof for a beginner caller.

I didn't hunt elk for the longest time because I didn't think I could pack it out. I've since learned to butcher the meat in the field, put in in plastic bags in the shade and hide it in several locations so you won't lose all of it if something finds it. My buddy and I shot 2 bulls one afternoon in October when the high was 75. When we came back in the morning, the meat was nice and cool. I've seen people travel with a freezer and generator in the back of their truck for long distance hauling, but I've kept butchered meat in my ice chest for 6 or 7 days with no issue. Just keep adding ice and draining the water. I don't like soggy meat, so I have milk crate bottoms in the ice chest to keep the meat off the bottom.

BanBam, is that picture faked. It isn't possible to get a caribou without $200 camo and a 300 RUM, is it?

For those of you who have the time, and not the money, A self-guided elk hunt is entirely doable. If you have time to come a week before the hunt to scout and acclimate to the altitude, you have a good chance of getting an elk. NM has lots of public land and reserves 6% of the tags for non-residents applying without an outfitter. In southern NM, the altitudes aren't extreme either. I've killed bulls at 7000'. Because it usually so dry here, sitting on a tank can be very productive. Muzzleloader season is in October, so the weather is mild and some bulls may still respond to a bugle. A Hoochie Mama elk call works to stop them, and is fool proof for a beginner caller.

I didn't hunt elk for the longest time because I didn't think I could pack it out. I've since learned to butcher the meat in the field, put in in plastic bags in the shade and hide it in several locations so you won't lose all of it if something finds it. My buddy and I shot 2 bulls one afternoon in October when the high was 75. When we came back in the morning, the meat was nice and cool. I've seen people travel with a freezer and generator in the back of their truck for long distance hauling, but I've kept butchered meat in my ice chest for 6 or 7 days with no issue. Just keep adding ice and draining the water. I don't like soggy meat, so I have milk crate bottoms in the ice chest to keep the meat off the bottom.
Exactly the secret for transporting meat.

I thought your dream hunt was antelope hunting with me in 2020 ? 😉
That sounded like a great hunt!
Caribou would be on my short list along with moose. I guessing caribou meat is good. I know moose meat can smell like willows when you cook it.
I didn't know or don't remember 🙄 that you made
Your own bows and arrows ?
Pretty dang cool killing a bull with a bow and arrow you made ! I used to make my own aluminum and carbon arrows but that's nothing cool. I put together from parts and biggest cams and heaviest limbs made, a PSE Mach 4 compound.
On the scale it pulled 92 pounds ! I couldn't pull it and it would of blew apart. I set it to 80 lbs. and left it. Shot a 5 pt. bull with it in Arizona..Sold it later. Bought a Bowtech.
Hey, Don, you're right! That was a dream hunt; you may have been dreaming when I set off my truck alarm at 0 dark thirty and I must have been dreaming when I took a couple of wrong turns on the way out of where ever it was I took you hunting!!! Dang, getting old ain't for sissies. But, I'm still waking up and buying tags....... DT in MT

lol...

A little detail. It was an easy inside 200 yard prone shot with 180 Silvertip. I even had on my top dollar hiking shoes -- Chuck Taylor, oversized to accommodate GI issue heavy socks. Typically wore Mukluks and that 20 pound 1/2 inch think GI Parka, it wasn't that cold, just under 40. After going through minus 69 in February, inside 40 is balmy hot. Shed the M65 field jacket before cutting the Caribou.

Hey, Don, you're right! That was a dream hunt; you may have been dreaming when I set off my truck alarm at 0 dark thirty and I must have been dreaming when I took a couple of wrong turns on the way out of where ever it was I took you hunting!!! Dang, getting old ain't for sissies. But, I'm still waking up and buying tags....... DT in MT
Hey Dan O. Then maybe you won't remember how many shots I took... ? I should of put my dog inside your little truck with you. Had a wool blanket over him all night while I got rained on in sleep bag in "truck bed"... 😆 I was a great time though ! Hope you and family are doing well

lol...

A little detail. It was an easy inside 200 yard prone shot with 180 Silvertip. I even had on my top dollar hiking shoes -- Chuck Taylor, oversized to accommodate GI issue heavy socks. Typically wore Mukluks and that 20 pound 1/2 inch think GI Parka, it wasn't that cold, just under 40. After going through minus 69 in February, inside 40 is balmy hot. Shed the M65 field jacket before cutting the Caribou.
Wait a minute. You told me you were in your socks when you shot the bou ! 😳😉

Wait a minute. You told me you were in your socks when you shot the bou ! 😳😉

lol

Now I have 3 pairs of Kenetreks, a Kuiu Scarpa, Lowa, and all kinds Kuiu stuff, and yet still have not given me luck to put the center dot on an Elk. I think I am going to the mall and buy a pair of Chuck Taylor, and go to Wally World and grab an ADL 30-06 maybe they will bring me luck in CO 2nd season....

Goid luck E="bamban, post: 2596043, member: 17722"] lol Now I have 3 pairs of Kenetreks, a Kuiu Scarpa, Lowa, and all kinds Kuiu stuff, and yet still have not given me luck to put the center dot on an Elk. I think I am going to the mall and buy a pair of Chuck Taylor, and go to Wally World and grab an ADL 30-06 maybe they will bring me luck in CO 2nd season.... [/QUOTE]
lol

Now I have 3 pairs of Kenetreks, a Kuiu Scarpa, Lowa, and all kinds Kuiu stuff, and yet still have not given me luck to put the center dot on an Elk. I think I am going to the mall and buy a pair of Chuck Taylor, and go to Wally World and grab an ADL 30-06 maybe they will bring me luck in CO 2nd season....
Good luck this year brother. May the boot God's be with you. 👍🏻😉