Dream hunt animal

I remember deer off the Deschutes river canyon right after ODFW released some bighorn sheep.
I heard what sounded like someone hitting a baseball bat against a rock, the echo in the canyon was just insane.
Anyhow.. i hustled and saw two rams giving each other a headache. I'll draw a tag someday..
Where I used to live I'd hike way back into this canyon that I deer and bear hunted in. There were Bighorn's there. I've watched them butt heads a few times. in 1988 I had photos printed in The Society for Conservation of Bighorn Sheep magazine of 4 rams I got within 33 yards of. They hadn't been hunted yet so weren't spooky. I thought dang, bow shot there. 2 we're big and mature. I used to camp in this one spot by the river and in the morning I'd here rocks rolling down the mountain. I'd would wake me up. They would come down to drink within 50 yds of me. They started giving a tag or two in that area in late 90's. I always applied. Nada. Then I 2002 they went to a point system. 3 times as many people applied for sheep tags. They had two for my area. I applied and drew ! With no points and triple the people applying. I knew right where to go. First trip saw rams but nothing big. Second trip was on way out with buddy. Man this story could be long. I remember it like yesterday. I stopped him and said listen.... Sounded like big rocks hitting together. I said rams butting heads ! Got down and got spotting scope out. Found 7 rams on mountain about 1/4 mi. or more from us. My stories are always so dang long. If you want to hear ending let me know. 😉

Last edited:
Had black bear a few times, fried steak and sausage. Steak was when I was young, my aunt had fried some like they did deer steak and we died it in green goddess salad dressing. We thought it was good as pre teens. Later in life a coworker had some bear summer sausage and it tasted rancid to me. Everyone else was bragging it up.
Deer and bear fat can turn rancid fast. I never use either. Pork or beef fat. They probably left a lot of fat on the bear meat when made sausage.

I remember deer off the Deschutes river canyon right after ODFW released some bighorn sheep.
I heard what sounded like someone hitting a baseball bat against a rock, the echo in the canyon was just insane.
Anyhow.. i hustled and saw two rams giving each other a headache. I'll draw a tag someday..
Did you mean CDFW ? I Shot my ram in the San Gorgonio wilderness . San Bernardino Nat. Forest 😉👍🏻

Where I used to live I'd hike way back into this canyon that I deer and bear hunted in. There were Bighorn's there. I've watched them butt heads a few times. in 1988 I had photos printed in The Society for Conservation of Bighorn Sheep magazine of 4 rams I got within 33 yards of. They hadn't been hunted yet so weren't spooky. I thought dang, bow shot there. 2 we're big and mature. I used to camp in this one spot by the river and in the morning I'd here rocks rolling down the mountain. I'd would wake me up. They would come down to drink within 50 yds of me. They started giving a tag or two in that area in late 90's. I always applied. Nada. Then I 2002 they went to a point system. 3 times as many people applied for sheep tags. They had two for my area. I applied and drew ! With no points and triple the people applying. I knew right where to go. First trip saw rams but nothing big. Second trip was on way out with buddy. Man this story could be long. I remember it like yesterday. I stopped him and said listen.... Sounded like big rocks hitting together. I said rams butting heads ! Got down and got spotting scope out. Found 7 rams on mountain about 1/4 mi. or more from us. My stories are always so dang long. If you want to hear ending let me know. 😉
What you cut me short and left me hanging. I want to hear

Thanks

Buck

Barren Ground Caribou in AK.

Lance, this was summer of 74. Cape Lisburne, AK. Down below is referred to as Caribou Valley. On the horizon is the Arctic Ocean. The RADAR site was home for a year. 8 of us up in the mountain, hair regulations be dang.. no barber.

Caribou was a straggler, the large herd already went by. We had him for dinner instead by the roaming nanuqs.

Remington 700 30-06, irons. Don't want optics while walking around in that part of the world. We had pet Husky ran point for us wherever we went.

20220809_120433.jpg

Last edited:
I want to try bear meat. If I were to hunt bears now it might cost me a divorce and I don't to spend that much money to go hunt..... Yet haha jk
The coastal browns as in Kodiak, are far from tasty. They are however, huge. They get fat on fish and meat so like most predators the fat can be pretty rank. Most of those hunts are for trophy hides, taking just as much meat as required to avoid "wanton waste". Few enjoy eating it.

Far more enjoyable is a fat inland black bear, fat mostly on plants and berries. Still not to my personal taste, but much better tasting than the Coastals.

This was a "blueberry bear" taken up high in the blueberry hills in mid Sept, far from any river or creek with fish in it, some of the rolling blueberry hills will turn your atv tires blue when you drive through them, the fat had a slight bluish,grey tint and smelled like blueberries .

after skinning the bear, my hands had a strong odor of blueberries & bear fat for days and lingered over a week

lots of folks out here prefer the fall berry bears over the spring skinny's, nobody I know of will eat a griz/brown bear, no matter what time of year, the griz I took this Spring was absolutely rank and has a strong rancid smell that choked me out as I was skinning him .... not gonna eat that, no way

44AA786D-62E7-4F47-BFA4-CC84B1AB885B.jpeg
718F9EF3-7A2F-4DD4-82FE-5E2D33835729.jpeg