Dream hunt animal

Most things are beyond me now. To old and not very good on my feet any longer. I would and dream about hunting all those animal. Back when I couldn't afford it. Now I can somewhat, but to old. That's life, and so be it. I can hunt from a blind and still shot, but about it. I still dream about those hunts. It's sometime like my cousins I hunted with. They got older and the rest of still get out there and hunt. They would pick us up at another point. I am moving toward the last stage of hunting. Just the love of being out there. I don't really care if I get anything anymore, just being there is something to live for. If you can and have the funding to do it go. Life will quickly pass you on.
I might just print this out and frame it as a reminder. I'm 36 and have two young children. We are making memories as fast as we can, but I'm on the cusp and I know it. My Son is 10 and I know he's on the verge of turning his back to Dad and wanting to spend more time with his buddies. This will be his first year of big game hunting.
I should have mentioned that my dream hunt won't mean anything if both kids aren't with me on the adventure (and I think I can convince my wife to join us too).

I remember deer off the Deschutes river canyon right after ODFW released some bighorn sheep.
I heard what sounded like someone hitting a baseball bat against a rock, the echo in the canyon was just insane.
Anyhow.. i hustled and saw two rams giving each other a headache. I'll draw a tag someday..

I'm curious on what everyone's once in a lifetime dream animal to hunt would be. For myself there are alot of animals that I would enjoy hunting and maybe even killing but there are two that stand out the most a Nubian ibex or a Marco Polo sheep. What would you hunt?
I think I already had my dream hunt. In 2010, just 6 months after a major heart attack, a friend and I went to an area north and west of Kuujjiwak, Quebec for Caribou. 2 bull limit and I got 2 nice ones with my little .308 Kimber 84M Montana. My buddy even used my rifle to to take a bull as he had come up from the boat (without his rifle!) to check out my 2nd bull and low and behold, another bull was looking at us from about 150 yards out so I just handed him my rifle and it was the 3rd, one shot bang-flop from the little gun. Loved that wide open country with lakes everywhere! The Leaf River and George River herds have taken such a severe beating since then that "outside hunting" has been closed for several years now. So glad I went when I did!!! Getting a little old and a lot less fun $ to be had but would still like to take a mature bull elk with a rifle. (Use to build my own Longbows and take-down Recurves and did kill a small 6x6 in the Missouri River Breaks in the late 80s with one of my recurves; even built my own arrows with heavy dowels from the hardware store. Those were the days!)

Looks as though these 4 Elk have found the only safe place , in Yellowstone Lake , to get away from the Wolf packs .
I was thinking same but there arent wolves in that area . Most are north side of Park. Lamar Valley, from Montana side of Park from what I've read and hear.

I think I already had my dream hunt. In 2010, just 6 months after a major heart attack, a friend and I went to an area north and west of Kuujjiwak, Quebec for Caribou. 2 bull limit and I got 2 nice ones with my little .308 Kimber 84M Montana. My buddy even used my rifle to to take a bull as he had come up from the boat (without his rifle!) to check out my 2nd bull and low and behold, another bull was looking at us from about 150 yards out so I just handed him my rifle and it was the 3rd, one shot bang-flop from the little gun. Loved that wide open country with lakes everywhere! The Leaf River and George River herds have taken such a severe beating since then that "outside hunting" has been closed for several years now. So glad I went when I did!!! Getting a little old and a lot less fun $ to be had but would still like to take a mature bull elk with a rifle. (Use to build my own Longbows and take-down Recurves and did kill a small 6x6 in the Missouri River Breaks in the late 80s with one of my recurves; even built my own arrows with heavy dowels from the hardware store. Those were the days!)
I thought your dream hunt was antelope hunting with me in 2020 ? 😉
That sounded like a great hunt!
Caribou would be on my short list along with moose. I guessing caribou meat is good. I know moose meat can smell like willows when you cook it.
I didn't know or don't remember 🙄 that you made
Your own bows and arrows ?
Pretty dang cool killing a bull with a bow and arrow you made ! I used to make my own aluminum and carbon arrows but that's nothing cool. I put together from parts and biggest cams and heaviest limbs made, a PSE Mach 4 compound.
On the scale it pulled 92 pounds ! I couldn't pull it and it would of blew apart. I set it to 80 lbs. and left it. Shot a 5 pt. bull with it in Arizona..Sold it later. Bought a Bowtech.

Last edited:
Began doing it last year at 70.. I took a 15 3/4" pronghorn in New Mexico, and a 29" aoudad in Texas. Bought my dream gun which is a Blaser in .300 wsm. Will do elk in the Gila in New Mexico in October.

That would be a dream hunt !
👍🏻🇺🇸
I'd have to spread this hunt out over 2 years—as I'd want to draw maximum enjoyment—and I'm wrecked after a sheep hunt for about a month. So I see basically 1 month of hunting and 2 months of recovery

i hear, brown bear is not good. black bear, not feeding on fish , is great in the fall and makes gr8 sausage in the spring.
Had black bear a few times, fried steak and sausage. Steak was when I was young, my aunt had fried some like they did deer steak and we dipped it in green goddess salad dressing. We thought it was good as pre teens. Later in life a coworker had some bear summer sausage and it tasted rancid to me. Everyone else was bragging it up.

Last edited: