DPMS Upgrade Time

StrutNut

Hi,

I have a DPMS upper and lower with a DPMS 16 in bull barrel which I believe is a 1 in 9 twist. Everything is pretty basic DPMS on it. It currently has a cheap Niko Sterling scope on it. I plan on using this rifle for small game including coyote control as well as long range shooting. My initial thoughts are a scope upgrade as well as new trigger. I have not even sighted it in yet so not sure how it groups as is. I will likely be shooting it a bit in a few weeks prior to doing anything with it. As I get funds though, I will be looking to steadily upgrade this set up.

Here is what it looks like now.

Attachments

• DPMS.jpg
    DPMS.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 93
I've got a decent dpms classic in 5.56, but my Pops rifle shot poorly and had multiple tight/loose spots in the barrel. Even a good lapping couldn't bring the rifle around so it was traded for a rra rifle. Good luck with your rifle, the dpms rifles can be a cost effective way to get into AR's, but the pinned barrels and basic triggers don't suit some people well.
I'll keep my rifle as she shoots well enough for its intended uses, but I didn't want a match rifle. I wanted a can gun with a bit of shtf capability also.

Lefty..would you explain the ( pinned barrel )? I have a new GII DPMS 308 ,I want to get a 260 barrel for it,but new at building .

the gas block isn't put on the normal manner with these rifles... it is pinned on... you basically need to toss the upper and get a new one if I'm not mistaken. My Pops knows more about this than I do as he wanted to ditch the barrel on his 5.56... it would have been cheaper to get another upper...

Typically a "pinned" barrel is referring to the flash hider being permanently affixed (pinned) to the barrel due to length. If you picked up a 14.5" barrel it would have a pinned flash hider to ensure it never had a length less than 16". Lots of gas blocks tend to have roll pins holding them on but they are still removable.

Ditch the mil spec trigger and you will be way happy with how it is to shoot. Personally, I think that is the first mod any AR should get.

If you shoot prone much you'll likely find that you want the scope further forward. Bench shooting you might be comfortable with it where it is but it appears rather rearward. If you plan to shoot prone at all I would get set up and locate the scope while prone before sighting it in. I made the mistake once........mine was too far back but usable on the bench. Went prone and it was way too far back to get comfortable and had to start over.

Nice looking rig.

Thanks for the advice. I did end up moving the scope up. It is better, Thanks! The trigger is not good but it seems to shoot very well. I will upgrade the trigger as I can. I appreciate the advice. I picked this up back when the prices where very high but I got a great deal on the upper and lower. I got a little over $700 in this rig and that was back when they were going for $1500 or better. The only other AR I had was a Colt while I was in college. Still wish I had that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts