DPMS Floating Forearm

Ace Quackhunter

The Floating Forearm on my DPMS 338 Federal has worked loose. It appears to have been attached with an epoxy and I was wondering what would be the best way to reinstall so that it will not work loose again?
Ace

Some of those older free float handguards actually were epoxied in place. You'll either need to redo the epoxy, try to see if you can drill/tap for sst screws, or just upgrade to a new handguard style.

Attachments

• 20201207_162458.jpg
    20201207_162458.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • 20201207_162600.jpg
    20201207_162600.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
  • 20201207_162831.jpg
    20201207_162831.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 135
The earlier runs of the DPMS G2 carbon fiber hand guards were only attached with adhesive.

it was a poor design and they revised it on later models.

Other guys with this issue have taken the opportunity to go with an after market hand guard.

I would not personally bother gluing it back on as the overall integrity of the attachment system is far from confidence inspiring.

I think that would work loose pretty quickly after being carried.

The hand guard is carbon fiber, not aluminum.

How?

You drill through the handguard, drill and tap the nut, and put screws through it with some. Blue locktite. You could even re epoxy it first for added strength.

The screws is how many carbon fiber handguards are installed. Even Lancer does it that way.

Lancer LCR5:
lancer-lcr5-round-carbon-handguard-01-hero.jpg

Generic:
Screenshot_20201207-142408_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201207-142318_Chrome.jpg

Instead of the sliding t-nuts you'd be drilling and tapping the nut that's there. Or if it's thin, drilling through and putting a nut inside

Thanks, everyone for your comments and suggestion. I will start searching for an aftermarket replacement, as I am of the opinion if re-epoxy the forearm it will only work loose again.
Thanks,

ACE

PSA acquired DPMS through the bankruptcy proceedings.

That said, they haven't done anything with the G2 yet.

Parts are drying up quickly.

The link I posted above is in stock. Midwest made a hand guard but they are no longer available on the site.

Good luck. I'm hoping PSA will begin pumping out parts after this craze dies down.

PSA acquired DPMS through the bankruptcy proceedings.

That said, they haven't done anything with the G2 yet.

Parts are drying up quickly.

The link I posted above is in stock. Midwest made a hand guard but they are no longer available on the site.

Good luck. I'm hoping PSA will begin pumping out parts after this craze dies down.
Did the OP say it was a G2? The G2 has an ar15 sized barrel nut (iirc) but if this is a gen 1 "ar10" then the barrel nut will be larger.

Make sure you get the correct barrel/handguard nut or its not gonna fit. Gotta love proprietary crap

Did the OP say it was a G2? The G2 has an ar15 sized barrel nut (iirc) but if this is a gen 1 "ar10" then the barrel nut will be larger.

Make sure you get the correct barrel/handguard nut or its not gonna fit. Gotta love proprietary crap
I assumed G2 due to the glued on carbon fiber HG. I don't think they did that on the AR10 footprint rifles they built, but could be wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.