Downloading ammo rarely mentioned in choice of rifle or calibers etc.

Rule 1 is no swearing. Cap is in trouble :)

No it's not but you can't even say the word that is prohibited by rule #1 so you have to go to the help page and look up the rules to see what it is...pretty stupid way to run a forum in my opinion but then everybody seems OK with censorship nowadays as long as they are the censors.

No it's not but you can't even say the word that is prohibited by rule #1 so you have to go to the help page and look up the rules to see what it is...pretty stupid way to run a forum in my opinion but then everybody seems OK with censorship nowadays as long as they are the censors.
I corrected myself. I enjoy not having swearing everywhere. Have enough at work and in the military. I don't mind using big words :)

Accurate 5744 is a great powder for reduced loads. Had to reduce the velocity in a 270 Win due to shoulder and neck issues, and I got great ES & single digit SDs with it shooting 100 grain Sierra's at 6.8 SPC velocities. I had the best results with 5744, H4895 couldn't even come close!

I have a 222 over 20 ga Stevens that we use for spring gobbler hunting . I wasnt to thrilled how the 222 tore birds up so I started using trail boss to " download" generally around 22 mag velocity. It works amazingly well I believe it's somewhere around 2000fps . Been loading 40 gr nosler with this now for 4 seasons and works great . I make my sons wait till bird is within 60 yards and if he hangs up and it's a clear shot he's in trouble. I prefer to get them in closer for the 20 ga but just in case

Still trying to come up with a better cast load for my 223/20gauge. I would like to know your reduced load for 7 mag as well. Looking to download to around 7/08. Super accurate rifle ,but kicks worse than a 300wm!

Several years ago I had rotator cuff surgery and I down loaded my 7mm Rem Mag to possibly 6mm or 6.5 performance with the use of
110gr Barnes bullets. This has given me a new found understanding of versatility .... of course any cartridge can be downloaded but what is
unique is I think my downloaded 7mm Rem Mag ammo was cheaper than 243 or 30-30 or 6,5 ammo yet I could at anytime just pop a full power
cartridge in it and it passes the entry point of real powerhouse ammo. I dont know what the absolute effect on accuracy downloading has
but for my needs the ammo worked flawlessly. I believe the loading data was 110gr at 2600 fps

I believe downloading should be considered more often in the choice of rifles and cartridges as you can always load down but you can never
load up unless your reference is the downloaded state.
The big thing for me is the cost of components.
If you start with a bigger than you need cartridge, then it HAS to be a popular one with cheap components and I dont think anything beats
the 7mm Mag in that regard.

It has been a consideration for a while now, that is why reduced load factory ammunition on selected cartridges is now available.

I too had a rotator cuff surgery but lucky to not recoil sensitive before and after the surgery.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.