Doubled down in Oklahoma

Congratulations!!!!! That is my dream hunt. Been putting in for tags for years, but haven't been drawn for anything since I was a kid.

Congratulations!!!!! That is my dream hunt. Been putting in for tags for years, but haven't been drawn for anything since I was a kid.
You should apply for the November or January walk-in Hunt. They are a team draw so you have to put in with a hunting partner.

Wow! That is a special hunt In so many ways. A double on bulls in Oklahoma, your home state with your sons. Doesn't get much better than that. Congratulations

Congrats on your success. I lived in the Lawton area for 50 years and have been putting in for the elk hunt since 1976. Started putting in for the draw when it was held at the Cache High School gym. You put your name in the hopper and they gave it a spin and drew the names. Over the years, my brother drew a tag, his wife drew a couple of years later. I've had cousins, in-laws and outlaws all draw the hunt and stay with us while they hunted. I volunteered to work the hunt for many years and helped a lot of folks get their elk out after a successful hunt. I got to actually see the whole refuge and enjoyed every minute of it. All those years and I've never drawn the hunt on the refuge. I have been fortunate to take 3 elk while hunting on private land around the refuge. The Wichita Mountains refuge is truly a magical place. We retired a couple of years ago and moved to east Texas. The refuge is the one thing I miss.

My son and I were very fortunate to be drawn for the first annual walk-in draw self supported Elk hunt in the Wichita Mountain Refuge. It was an amazing hunt. After stalking a good group of bulls for nearly 3&1/2 hours my son had a shot at 170 yards. He was carrying a Browning Abolt medallion in 7 rem mag. He was shooting hornady trophy 162 grain. Bull fell in his tracks.
Day 2 we went back in to find the same group and I was able to get a great shot at 275 with my Browning Abolt 300 win mag. I was using Federal premium trophy bonded 180 grain rounds. Fired and my bull fell 8 yards further. It was an awesome experience for my sons and I. My youngest son was able to catch it all on film!
I was drawn for the walkin hunt this year in Dec. Any tips or good locations to try and get too?