DOUBLE first bull elk!

Daves762

Ok fella's long time since I've posted. I've been crazy busy with my start up business, regular 40hr work week and building my shop/garage.
BUT i'm back and huntin my butt off. Today my wife and I got our first elk ever and only about 3 minutes apart.

So we made a late afternoon hunt about 330pm. Within a minute of getting to out spot, sitting down, and glassing I saw a nice elk bedded and he ranged WIth the G7, about 535yds away. I dialed in the scope and sent a Nosler 168gr Ballistic tip, and he just dropped his head and died instantly right in his bed. Then I saw antlers jump up next to him. The body was blocked by the terrain but I could see elk antlers moving through the creek bed. I told Rochelle to get on my gun and find him as I constantly ranged the bull and dialed the scope. The bull moved away from us for a few minutes never presenting a good shot. Then for some reason he made turn and headed back up the hillside and gave Rochelle a perfect shot at 686yds. I dialed the scope and she put a bullet in his lungs. He started trotting up the hill and stopped again at 742yds, I dialed the scope and she sealed his fate. TWO BULL ELK DOWN WITHIN 3 MINUTES OF EACH OTHER.!!! It was Rochelle and I first ever elk, and we had a double at that.

Attachments

• Elk 2013 003.jpg
    Elk 2013 003.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 163
  • Elk 2013 011.jpg
    Elk 2013 011.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Elk 2013 021.jpg
    Elk 2013 021.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Congratulations x2!!!!!!!

.308? How was bullet performance? Guzzle that beer and give us the details, man!

No sir, It was a 300WSM. Pushing that 168gr Nosler at 2960fps.

The one I shot died in his bed like someone shut off his power switch, just went limp. Bullet passed through ribs on both sides.

The one the wife shot twice, was at longer range and the bullets did their job well. One was broadside lung shot, and one was after he layed down I had her put another one in him due to his proximity to the public land boundry. Pretty sure he was dead at the time he went down but I wasn't taking any chances with him crossing the fence.

Due to proximity of bears, wolves, mt lions we cut and ran. It was just before dusk and we didn't really have time for the ectopsy, bullet recovery, and evaluation. They were dead and thats all I asked for.

Sorry I wish I had more tech details but I was a bit overwelmed by 2 bull elk down, at dusk, and one 120lb wife that is near blind in the dark.......

Dave

You will be talking this hunt in every camp for the remainder of your lives!!!!Congrats x2.

My first thought is "wow congrats", my second was "oh man, they've got an awful lot of work ahead of them!

Great story, and as someone else said, one you will share and relive probably for the rest of your lives.

Nice job neighbor! Two happy faces! Lookin good! Go to work on the wolves now!

Saw a big black wolf on private near green boxes off east river just yesterday morning. Followed him in the truck for a while but he kept going private to private. Never got a shot. Know it was a wolf cause he ran by a house and their dog ran out, he was over twice as big. Soon as I would stop the truck he would run strait away, soon as I would drive he would turn around and come back towards me. Affraid of stopped trucks........wonder why..

My first thought is "wow congrats", my second was "oh man, they've got an awful lot of work ahead of them!

Great story, and as someone else said, one you will share and relive probably for the rest of your lives.

Well I won't lie I did the cutting and horses did the carrying......I did however make the rookie mistake of putting backstraps, heart, tenderloins, and neck meat in my pack, then strapped the head to it..........I darn near killed myself climbing out of there. I was running on pure pride so of course I just did it.....and limped around the next day.....or two......now I know why guys out here couldnt give a rip about deer.......cause we have ELK!!!!

Backstraps for breakfast sure makes getting up worth it.

Also anyone who ever said that Nosler Ballistic tips won't work on elk...........were wrong.