DOT-HAZMAT-The Facts on Small Arms Related Hazmat brochure

Muddyboots

There is the desperate need to buy and sell components but we better understand the legal ramifications of our actions when dealing with powder, ammo, primed brass and primers. This brochure should help anyone realize what is legal or not.

FedEx and UPS can ship ammo and primed cases as long as declared and marked correctly. Double check since this changes frequently especially in this fluid universe.

USPS CANNOT ship any HAZMAT so no ammo, powder or primers.

We don't need a serious mishap that puts the cross hair on reloading components or provide the "reason" that many Americans not in shooting sports will be sheeple for new controls.

Attachments

• The Facts on Small Arms Related Hazmat brochure.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
Just be aware of the liability you inherit when you are the shipper. I would ask myself is the reward worth the risk? Shipper is legally responsible for all $$$ damages including potential civil and criminal as result from improper packaging or labeling (marking). The transporter is not liable for your improper actions. My family financial security is more important to me.

Everyone has to make their own choice in that regard.

Just be aware of the liability you inherit when you are the shipper. I would ask myself is the reward worth the risk? Shipper is legally responsible for all $$$ damages including potential civil and criminal as result from improper packaging or labeling (marking). The transporter is not liable for your improper actions. My family financial security is more important to me.

Everyone has to make their own choice in that regard.
Carelessness is what creates liability. Most of us who can ship are legal businesses with proper insurance for this type of business. Label and package it as required and you have no liability. Its the seller who just drops it into a regular box and put a shipping label on it, that is the issue.

Carelessness is what creates liability. Most of us who can ship are legal businesses with proper insurance for this type of business. Label and package it as required and you have no liability. Its the seller who just drops it into a regular box and put a shipping label on it, that is the issue.
I agree with you, I went through the process to get certified through UPS. You are right, took about a day after learning how the process works. I am a home based FFL and most FFL's I know are not certified. But I also think you are correct, if you follow at the DOT and shipper rules then there is no liability for the shipper. Even if there was, that is the reason for my LLC. If you are not a business do not even attempt, if you are an individual stop shipping it illegally. The small reward is not worth the risk.

Hmmm, my experience about a year ago was the exact opposite. I wanted to ship some .223 to a buddy in Koimmifornia. FedEx and UPS would not take them even though both of their websites said they would as long as the package had a hazmat label on it. I thought there was no way the Post Office would, but figured I'd take a long shot. Not only did they take them, but when I asked if I could ship loaded bullets, the lady behind the counter almost made it seem like her answer was "No sh!+ dumba$$, why wouldn't we take bullets?"

I think we can all agree not only do we have regulations to deal with but incompetence behind the desks. Some UPS franchises don't care what UPS accepts only what they will. Maybe more politically motivated? USPS CLEARLY has on their website and in fact my 2 local PO's have it posted they will not ship HAZMAT with lists. When you ship at PO you have to answer the no HAZMAT question so how does that work?

Not too long ago, I asked about shipping magnets through USPS and got 2 different answers, looked it up and yes.

Ammo is not hazmat, it used to be ORM-D, now it's a triangle symbol. UPS and FedEx should take it but probably needs to go to a hub.