Don't recommend 53gr V-maxs

How fast can you drive the bullets until they come apart? I've got a 223 wssm that's still gotta 10 twist that judging by the first barrel is a smidgen over 100 rounds from being toast. Have been debating this class as a good last who rah before fast twist barrel time.......

How fast can you drive the bullets until they come apart? I've got a 223 wssm that's still gotta 10 twist that judging by the first barrel is a smidgen over 100 rounds from being toast. Have been debating this class as a good last who rah before fast twist barrel time.......
The 53 vmax had no issues at 3800-3850 out of my former 220 swift…it just didn't like them! Flat base only for that one.

There's a guy made a cartridge called a .220 redline, it's a saum case necked down to 224. Got 75 vmax over 4000 fps without bullet blow up. There's also a fella by the last name of Potts who got a 30 grain berger flat base to over 5000 fps out of a .22-284 WITH A FREAKING 1-7 TWIST!!!!!!!

With bigger diameter bullets this is a real issue but it seems the 25s and under you push them as fast as they can possibly be pushed without much trouble as far as bullet blow up.

Just my two cents.

Cool good to know. I've wanted to do a redline for a few years, and we killed a 22-284 barrel in a very short period of time back in college. My second wssm rifle shredded the then 40 grain v max but for some reason the ballistic tips held. I'm curios if jackets are a little thicker across the boards these days, maybe it was the Grove type or a rough lead.

Shure is a sleek looking pill, loaded a bunch a few years back for a friend who bought a 9 twist 22-250 that showed up a 12 twist.... dunno how many he shot with it.

The 53 Vmax should have a 12 twist or faster. One of our go to bullets in the 9 twist .223, the other is the 73 grain ELDM. When the .223 barrel wears out it will be replaced with a 9 twist .223 AI.

AA 2230 & AA2460 work real good with the 53's. CFE223 with the 73's.

Screenshot (416).png

Bang - Zip - Splat !!

Last edited:
CFE223 is always a top velocity powder for 223 size cases. lt will give you 4100fps in 20TAC with 32gr BlitzKing/VMAX or 3900 w/39gr SBK or 40gr VMAX. As always 'Speed Kills'

If you want speed in a 20 Practical or Tactical give VV N133 a try. My Practical is @ 4300FPS with the 32gr V-max
I realize the 20 practical is loaded to 3kpsi more than the roogah.... but that's 300 fps faster than any book data for the practical and the ruger. Heck that's in 24 grain ntx territory. Is the vv powder that good?

N133 is super clean burning and magic in my practical which is a 24" X-caliber 3 groove 11 twist. Of course this is a MAX load and you'd need to work up to it in your rifle!