Don't line up

Capt. D

I just received a new Weaver Tactical 3-15X50. Pretty good glass. When I mounted the scope on my Wilson Combat Super Sniper and leveled the cross hairs using a plumb bob at 100 yards, the turrets were not comparable to the attitude of the cross hairs. Did not have time to shoot, so just put it away.

My question is; will this scope track properly with the turrets at least 5 degrees out of line with the cross hairs. First time this has happened to me. Will be contacting Weaver as well. Any input is appreciated.

Dallas

will this scope track properly with the turrets at least 5 degrees out of line with the cross hairs
There is no way to predict this. It should be tested before dialing solutions in the field.
Do you plan to dial, or holdoff?

You will always need to mind level when shooting.
If you plan on dialing, then you need to set a 'Scope-Level' plumb to the actual adjustments, and forget about any crosshair angles resulting. If you plan on holding off with your mildots, then a level needs to be plumb with the crosshair, and forget turret angles resulting.

If you plan on doing both, sell the scope and step up to something better.

The turrets and the crosshairs should be square with each other. The reticle is not
installed correctly, send it back.

My question is; will this scope track properly with the turrets at least 5 degrees out of line with the cross hairs. Dallas

You have the scope so you're in the best position to test it. Mount the scope solidly with it aimed at a target with a 1" or 1/2" grid at 100 yards. See how the reticle moves when the knobs are turned. Does the movement distance per click match the manufacturers specifications? Are the axes orthogonal? Are they aligned in rotation with the reticle. Are they linear? do they have hysteresis? If the only problem is that the reticle is rotated it will still shoot accurately, though the tilted reticle could cause canting. If the scope is misaligned you have to make the decision to live with it, try to get it repaired/replace/refunded, or to scrap/sell it.

I check every scope I acquire. The days of counting on brand names as a guarantee of quality are over.

Thanks for the reply's guys.

I will be contacting Weaver tomorrow. (Monday)

The scope is mounted on a dedicated coyote gun and will have opportunities to shoot to 400 yards. At this point I will plan on dialing.

Even it the scope tracks properly I don't like the fact that the reticle and the turrets are not square, just adds a hint of doubt and I don't want to be questioning my equipment.

Maybe should of spent a few more dollars and picked up another used nightforce.

Got a reply back from Weaver today, which I thought was a timely reply.

No questions asked, they said if the retailer that I bought it from did not have one to exchange it with to send it back. I'll be sending it to them tomorrow.

Dallas

Capt.

I just so happen to have one of these on the way in MOA/MOA. I'll have to review it and test my scope. I'll get back to you.

-Mega

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.