Don't joke around at the Post Office !!

James Jones

I went to the post office yesterday to pick up a package from Center , North Dakota , when the clerk set the big box up on the counter and mentioned how heavy it was I smiled and said "it must be my new shoulder fired rocket" , the clerk looked at me , looked at the box with the bright lable that said "Strait Shot Gunsmithing" and said I'll be right back , a few min go buy and a Sherriff's car pulls up , luckly a friend of mine , and asked what I had in the box , the head butt hole from the Post Office comes out and we open the box to find a couple barreled actions and a realy nice scope , then the chief butt head starts on me hows I'm not supposed to ship guns through the USPS !!!

After about 20 min of arguing with this clown I was able to leave with my stuff and got a lecture from "officer friendly" aka Kevin about making jokes about bombs and rocket launchers in federal buildings.

Anyway for all of you guys out their that have stuff shipped try to find some of the rules for shipping weapons and print them out so you can have some written proof that your not breaking the law because the jack offs with the postal service might not know what they are.

find some of the rules for shipping weapons and print them out so you can have some written proof that your not breaking the law because the jack offs with the postal service might not know what they are.

Second that, make sure you print off the rules... The guys behind the counter don't know them and have freaked out on me too. It is a lot easier when you can just pull them out.

James

There is one thing more that you don't want to say at the post office.

About a year ago I shiped some brass to a member of this web site and
when ask what was inside that was so heavy ,I said 500 rounds of 308
rifle---- but before I could finish saying----BRASS ,He freeked out just like
your guy and started lecturing me and then I said (Hold on Don't go postal
on me).

Then I recevied the second lecture of the day .

J E CUSTOM

James

There is one thing more that you don't want to say at the post office.

About a year ago I shiped some brass to a member of this web site and
when ask what was inside that was so heavy ,I said 500 rounds of 308
rifle---- but before I could finish saying----BRASS ,He freeked out just like
your guy and started lecturing me and then I said (Hold on Don't go postal
on me).

Then I recevied the second lecture of the day .

J E CUSTOM

Man!!! I guess you should have said just one word, BRASS!!!

I shipped a rifle scope to be fixed, and when asked what was in the box, I said "a rifle scope" and she almost fainted. I had a hard time convincing her that a rifle scope was not a rifle and it was ok to ship it. :rolleyes:

I shipped a rifle scope to be fixed, and when asked what was in the box, I said "a rifle scope" and she almost fainted. I had a hard time convincing her that a rifle scope was not a rifle and it was ok to ship it. :rolleyes:

I had a similar problem in the airport in Townsville, Australia earlier this year. I had a shiny (actually matte) new VXIII in my backpack that I'd picked up for cheap and they weren't going to let me on the plane, because you're not allowed firearms as hand luggage:confused:

Fortunately it was ultimately at the discretion of the flight crew who didn't care about me carrying a bit of black aluminium tube with a lens at each end.

Last edited:
I went to the post office yesterday to pick up a package from Center , North Dakota , when the clerk set the big box up on the counter and mentioned how heavy it was I smiled and said "it must be my new shoulder fired rocket"

Thanks for the lesson in what I thought was common knowledge? Maybe you should have made a reference to anthrax or nerve gas or something.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.