Don't forget to take a sit pad

Litehiker

Whether hunting or in camp a closed cell sit pad is very nice to have.

1. keeps your butt dry
2. keeps yer butt warm
3. is more comfortable than sitting on rocks or a log

REI and other outdoor gear suppliers sell a Thermarest "egg crate" style closed cell sit pad that I cut in half at the fold B/C I have a skinny *** and don't need the whole thing.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I use the Heater Seat, it really comes in handy for long glassing sessions, especially if there's snow. I have mine clipped to my pack. It makes a nice pillow, when you hit the bag, after a long day.

Charley, Z-Seat is what meant, just forgot the name.
When I was backpacking the Grand Canyon with Len Backus in Nov. 2017 I accidentally left a perfectly good 1/2 of a Z-Seat at a rest shelter on the 4th day of our hike. :eek:(

Eric B.

The Z seat is great. I also carry an ultra
Light chair I got from REI. Weighs almost nothing. As is extremely comfortable. I believe the brand is Alite

Rob,
As a geezer I have to keep my backpack hunting total weight as low as possible so the half Z-Seat is all I can carry. But at camp I'm really wishing for a light seat like yours so I can truly "unlax".

Eric B.

Bergans of Norway make a great seat pad, the one I have is 14" wide by 11" deep and folds into quarters for packing. It weighs 23 grams or 0.8 oz.

I do, and it serves multiple functions for me. I carry half of a cheapo blue ccf sleeping pad. I use it to sit on, I can stick it under me in the hammock for some extra warmth, and I can also use it as a pad for my dog in the really cold weather. I can also use it as something to stand on when getting in/out of the hammock, it also makes a good fan for the fire. IMO the Z-seat is a touch small. I would rather buy a full length z pad and cut it in half, or at least bigger than the z seat is. One benfit to using a half length pad is you have more coverage area for when the ground is wet/muddy etc, and you can also lay the extra pad behind your back for leaning against a tree etc.

I am probably going to buy a full length z pad and cut it here soon. The z pad folds up very nicely, where as the typical ccf pads just roll up and when unrolled never want to stay super flat.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.