Don't believe everything you read

Geezer

Don\'t believe everything you read

Finally got out to the range with my Christmas chrono, and had some interesting results.

I was shooting my Savage 16FLSS in 300WSM, 24" 1-10" twist barrel. The load was 67.0gr of RL22 behind a 180gr CT Ballistic Tip, with a CCI 350 primer and Norma brass. This not max by any means, but is very accurate in my rifle, and has done well on the few critters I've shot so far.

The Nosler manual (5th ed) lists this combo as 2972FPS out of a 26" 1-10" twist Wiseman barrel with Winchester brass and primers. I'd expected to lose maybe 100 fps for the shorter barrel on my rifle.

I got a 5 shot average of 2779, with a 34fps extreme spread and 13fps SD. So I'm running about 200 fps slower than the book and 100 under what I expected. I'd shoot about 4" lower than I thought at 500yds, and farther out doesn't bear mentioning. Oops.

Guess the moral is, if you don't have a 1000yd range handy, there's no substitute for a chrono if you want to know where you will hit at distance.

Re: Don\'t believe everything you read

Moral of the story is there is no substitute for a chronograph no matter what the range you are shooting at. Only way to know your load is to shoot it over a chrono.

You just learned a valuable lesson!!! One we all have learned along the way.

Kirby Allen(50)

i only have faith in putting a target up at a distance and put holes in it.i know how many clicks it will take MY scope to compensate for that distance.with that said i may be heading out west this year and altitude may come into play so i'll have to get the dreaded speed i guess. darn!

You say do not believe everything you read. Did you mean you are using CCI 250 primers, rather than CCI 350? Rufous.

[ QUOTE ]
Guess the moral is, if you don't have a 1000yd range handy, there's no substitute for a chrono if you want to know where you will hit at distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no substitute for shooting at distance.

[ QUOTE ]
You say do not believe everything you read. Did you mean you are using CCI 250 primers, rather than CCI 350? Rufous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. At my age, maybe it should be "Don't believe everything you think you remember." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have heard this story a few times here lately and it always seems that it is occurring with a factory rifle. i am just wondering if it doesn't have something to do with these factories loading info being tested in custom barrels with tighter tolerences which give higher velocities.

I can agree with all said so far. Something that ticks me is I just got the 2007 Hodgdon reloading manual (magazine actually) and it seems the 7mm Rem Mag has started "losing" velocity and taking a "ballistic back seat" to the much newer 7WSM. Gime' a break. Looks like a bunch of sales hype to me. JohnnyK.

Alot of the WSM data seems weak.....especially the 7wsm which has virtually the same case capacity as the 7mm rem mag. I loaded 1.5 grains under "max" for a friends 7wsm and found myself doing 2675 fps with a 154 grainer!!! It was terrifically accurate....but also slower than a 7mm-08!!

Kraky,
I just found out that the 7mm RM has .3 grains case capacity more that the 7WSM. Looking at the 2007 annual manual the RM isn't even loaded as hot as the WSM.
I know that I can average 3150fps with the 150gn NBT and/or Scirocco. It just appears to me that "they" are trying to present the WSM as the "hotter" of the two. The only reason I can think of is to sell more rifles. JohnnyK.

Jerry--also remember to Chrono in the summer and winter---you may be surprised at the differences in velocity! I am in Texas and some powders are worse than others but they all change between 40 and 90 degree days!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.