Donor spike camp build

Jared Jack

Hey everyone.
This is my first thread so please bare with me. I'm currently in the process of building brush/spike camp/ scout gun. Light weight, compact, packing a punch, max range of 400yds.

The donor is a older savage 111 side magazine release, in 30-06 with a 20" barrel. It was a cheap rifle I pick up for $150. I ordered a Boyd's spike camp stock which I received yesterday and installed last night. I'm very Impressed with the quality of the stock and fit. It's a bare bones light weight set up and easy on the pocket book.I will post some before an after photos soon. I would like to rebarrel the action to a 35 whelen in a 16"-18" length. Looking to shoot 240-250 grain. Out of a 1-12 barrel. Top it off with a 2-12x42 leupold.

Im currently working with a fabricator friend of mine to produce a high capacity mag for the savage action. Hoping to double the mag size from 4, to 8 rounds.

Any thoughts and advise would be highly welcomed
Thanks.

Is this side magazine release a "push button"? If it is, did the boyds stock come with a hole for the button or did you drill one? Or are you removing the magazine box and trying to convert it from a stagger feed to a center feed magazine setup? Asking for a friend, I just installed a new barrel on his Savage 111 with the push button release. He also wants to increase the capacity of the rifle. We looked up Darkeagle Custom, however they did not make a magazine for the side release models.

Good luck on your build, if your friend is able to produce a high capacity magazine please post info. Youtube had a video on converting a factory short action mag to high capacity mag using the factory mag and adding a Pmag to it. Search for savage high capacity mags.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.