• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Donor Ruger No. 1

Randy Tidwell

Looking for a donor No. 1 for a project rifle.

Caliber or configuration unimportant, only the action and stock will be used.

So funny, back in the 70's when I ran a small chain of gun stores, we couldn't give No. 1s away, now its crazy what they are getting for them.

If you got an old one laying around that has become a safe queen, I would be interested.

Thanks,

Randy

.......Looking for a donor No. 1 for a project rifle....Caliber or configuration unimportant, only the action and stock will be used...........So funny, back in the 70's when I ran a small chain of gun stores, we couldn't give No. 1s away, now its crazy what they are getting for them......If you got an old one laying around that has become a safe queen, I would be interested.........

Nothing much to add, just thought I'd keep the thread alive. Tough to find I've seen about 3 in a dozen years of looking.

They've always been over priced in my mind, one of the troubles is almost all are safe queens, unusual to find one suffering from garage gun smithing or long hard days in the field or range.

What's your end game look like.

If you get one with a good trigger they can be something. I used to have the bug bad. The only one I have left is a black pad 300Wby. It is a solid 600 yard gun and it is beautiful. It is a nice weather gun though like most. When it's gonna be a tough hunt or the weather is crap I grab a boat paddle (something in synthetic and cerakote). It's too bad this wasn't 10 years ago, I had a couple that were great looking, but couldn't be relied on to hit the broad side of a barn...from the inside. They would have made great build actions.

A few years back after setting up my tables at a gun show on Friday afternoon, I took a walk thru the show to see what might be there before the public was allowed in.

I spotted a No. 1 lying on a table, asked if I could take a look (always ask before picking up), guy said sure.

No markings on the barrel so I asked what it was, turned out be a 260 Rem. Immediately peaked my interest.

I asked what he wanted for it, $500?

In the conversation the guy told me he picked it up for a friend, but the guy's wife would not let him have a gun. (Get rid of the wife, not the gun). Said he paid $500 to some kid, just wanted his money back.

Offered him $100 to hold it while I run to the ATM to get some extra cash. Told me he didn't need the deposit, he has seen me at the shows many times and he would hold it for me.

Great, see you in the morning.

Next morning, went straight to the table, the rifle wasn't there nor the guy that had it. Figured it was put away for me.

Told the guys partner I was there to pick up the No. 1 that his buddy was holding for me.

I was pretty upset when I got "There is a problem, he sold it last night about 10 minutes after you left."

He told me his partner would be back tomorrow and would explain it then.

I wasn't upset, I was ****ed!

On Sunday morning I was at my tables getting ready for the show when I looked up and the guy was standing in front of me with his hand out saying "I owe you an apology!"

I said that would be nice, but more importantly would be an explanation.

Apparently, about 10 minutes after I left another guy spotted the rifle and wanted to know where he got the rifle.

He told the him he bought it from some kid.

After he described the kid, the guy told him "that is my son and that is my rifle!"

Said he had given the rifle to his son and about three months later the kid told him it got stolen out of his truck.

Whatever you gave the kid, I will give it to you right now or whatever you want.

The guy that sold me the gun said he was torn on what to do, so he went looking for me, but I had already left. So he figured he would do the right thing and sell the rifle back to the original owner.

I shook his hand and told him he absolutely did the right thing! And I appreciate you telling me what happened.

Then he told me that the guy gave him the $500, picked up the rifle and said "I think I know a young man that will be wearing this for a Pogo Stick!"

LOL

Hope you don't mind the conversation, intent just keeping the thread alive. There was one sold onsite for $500. Quickly I might add.