• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Donor Ruger No. 1

I have one in 7 stw. It was originally a 7 RM with iron sights. My smith re barreled it ( said it was a PITA). I put a Hicks accurizor and a Jarred trigger on it. Now it shoots sub 1/2 MOA. I wouldn't sell it for any reason.

My 9.3x74r shoots clover leaves at 100. completely stock gun. Developed a crack in the Alex Henry forearm adjacent to the action. A little lightweight for the cartridge but you don't shoot a whole box in a sitting. Perfect as a 0-400 yd elk gun. Only needs a 2-7x to cover the range. Would like to find one of the soft shooting big bores (404 Jeff or 450-400) for the fun of it.

I bought a new #1 in .243 ca. in 1996 hunted speed goats in Wyoming with it a couple of years and shot 1 nice buck & 2 does the first year. The second year a shot a nice muley and 3 more speed goats. If i remember correctly, I paid $550.-$600. for and sold it for $400.00
I liked the rifle but, got BIT by the .257Wby. After seeing this thread I wish I'd kept it. But that .257 Wby is WAY better suited for them speed goats. I don't have the WBY anymore either. I've have more guns than I can count since then. I do have of couple in my safe that I've had 20 yrs or more, can't seem to part with them.

like REWSKY25284 I got 3 of mine back in the early 70's 7mm Rem, 375 H&H, and 458 Win all for about 200-250. Just picked up a 7x57 last year for 700.00. Good luck. Have you checked with Ruger about getting a action alone or even a Barrel action? I know in the past they use to sell them.

PM a number, always get bogged down with pictures here. I'm working all night, so I'll take one tomorrow.
No charge, yours if you want it.

Without thinking, I posted my info here. It was supposed to be sent in a PM, teaches me not to do things when I'm tired, lol

Sorry

Not hiding, will be happy to send my contact info to anyone, just don't think we shouldn't post our info on an open forum.

Last edited:
Nothing much to add, just thought I'd keep the thread alive. Tough to find I've seen about 3 in a dozen years of looking.

They've always been over priced in my mind, one of the troubles is almost all are safe queens, unusual to find one suffering from garage gun smithing or long hard days in the field or range.

What's your end game look like.
I can show you two that are far from safe queens, but rather workhorses. They have seen many a day in the field over the last 25 yrs, and killed a pile of stuff. They are shooters too! Also both were purchased for under $350.