Doing my part to help turkey.

give us the details!! thats great work and that's long range to me.
Anything two football fields plus away is a long way off on critters,don't care who you are or what you're shooting ,it takes practice and discipline to shoot at those ranges.My furthest ever was 1/4 mile with the TC 204,really no need to ever shoot that far in Ohio,BUT things happen. 90% of coyotes and groundhogs are within 200 yards.I understand in different parts of the country shots are way out there.I'll never feel bad whacking a varmint at the ranges Justin did.

A suppressed AR? Never said I believe. Even with pups its hard to see getting off than many shots without them heading out.

Yes ReemtyJ , And most people don't learn that even after the first time out zeet crack wonder what that was a bee or something ? OHHH *&@$their shooting back .

Calm is something that is hard to master, even after 37 years calling coyotes my heart still speeds up, just have to be calm and smooth. Its the same way in trap, calm is smooth, fast and accurate (its your sub-conscience doing the work) just takes some experience and mental preparation. Going thru it in your mind ahead of time is really the key. Your sub-conscientious mind cannot tell the difference between real life and role playing in your mind. Its all practice. I listened to a tape recording of Bill Austin calling in a family group of 5 coyotes and killing them all, Coyote distress was key and the guy was calm as ever to hear his voice. If I remember right he was shooting a lever action rifle, but memory is not to be trusted.

Thanks guys. My brother stopped by and had seen the coyotes in his hay field as he was coming to my house. My shop is on a hill overlooking the field. I shot them out of the back door sitting on the floor with the rifle resting on my adjustable shooting seat. I shot the first one and they scattered, one stopped and looked at the one that was down so I shot it too. The third one had ran into the corn and came out so I put it down. After about thirty seconds the fourth one came back out of the corn where #3 had went down so I shot it too. It all took place in less than one minute. The first one lasered 240 and they got farther after that, the last two fell about three feet apart at 252 yards.

My rifle is a Savage FVSS in 22-250 with a Leupold 6.5-20 with a Varmint hunter reticle. The rifle is in a Stockade Elk Stalker ambi thumb hole stock, I shoot lefty. I reload for most of my rifles and was shooting a 55gr. Sierra Gameking over 36.0gr of varget. I have no idea how fast they are but they shoot small groups at 200 yards, where it's zeroed. I can shoot out to 500 yards in this field and three years ago I killed nine groundhogs that ranged between 416 yards to 470 yards and several more closer. I absolutely love this rifle, load and scope, after working out the load I spent some time learning hold overs with the reticle. Unless the wind is blowing pretty good it's pretty much point, click and death.

I don't claim to be a good shot but I am blessed to have a few rifles that will shoot.

Justin

ReemtyJ that's why visualization is such a valuable tool we trick our minds into thinking we have done it before one of the tricks for shooting pistol is to visualize yourself from the start of your draw to the shot hitting the bullseye . All done perfectly and in slow motion then over time we speed it up .

I have known some good shots from Kentucky as well as good people . I know a family from there that gets together for opening day of squirrel season to hunt them 22lr pistols only allowed .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.