Dog Hunters

Well this ought to **** some of you off. I run humans with hounds, there is nothing in the world that will get your motor running like following a pack of hounds running hot and closing on an armed man.

+1 RIGHT THERE WITH YA.
Brings a whole new meaning to the words fair chase.

We have a metric ton of dog hunters in Wisconsin, they can run bear, racoon, bobcat ,wolf and coyote, woops did I just type wolf?

Anyway they do a good job of controlling predators, I just wish they would shoot more bear, rather than being fussy trying to get a big one. We have lots of bear.

I have run coyotes with some of the locals and they do run some private land with permission and on occasion they get on privte that they are to stay off of. When ever that happens they are quick to catch them at the first opportunity, and/or make contact with the owner and ask to get them if they are hung-up in that section.

The are very humble and non confrontational, but on the flip side I have seen some groups of hound hunters that have less manners then there dogs and think they have a birth right to every pc of land in the country. They are the guys who ruin it for the responsible ones. My local dog hunting groups are cooperative to the point that they all have established areas that they don't overlap. This is great for accountability.

there are good reasons to hunt with dogs ie wild hogs, control deer drives, My problems isnt those, its the good ole boys in a truck who drop off a couple with dogs and they go thru a place & then have bud pick the up or they run dogs with tracking &shock collers to steer them thru your prop to flush the deer no men around, fish & game knows them but you have to see&catch w/game. mean while there goes the feed trail prep &all the time. what would you do.

garyo, im gonna say that 1 you did not graduate with an english degree, and 2 you have never been dog hunting. no matter what you do to the dog it doesnt change where the deer goes.ie shocking them.

to all non dog hunters. its not our fault that our dogs get off our land. we try so very hard to keep that from happening. but sometimes it just does. the dogs cant read posted signs, its not their fault. anyway they are just following the deer. you should be mad at the deer for not following the posted land regulation.

its not about my grammer, it was about deer hunting att night w/dogs .getting your buddy to drop you off on priv. land, no permit,

I dog hunted in my youth and it was amazing to see the maneuvers deer would do to throw the dogs off the track. I remember watching a nice buck wade out into a cypress pond and lay down with just half his head sticking out of the water. When the dogs followed the trail to the water they stopped and went around the pond couldn't pick up the trail again. Needless to say it's always the sorriest dog in the pack that will then hit the backtrack and pull the rest of the pack with him. That buck stayed for about 2 minutes and then walk out of the pond headed in the opposite directions. There are good and bad dog hunters and the same with still hunters. As for the bad guys it's just a different form of poaching.

Deer hunters - hunts deer
Elk hunters - hunts elk
Duck hunters - hunts ducks
Dog hunters - hunts ?????

I've heard hunting games with dogs before but never "dog hunters" ... just saying lightbulb:D:):cool::rolleyes:

The love of hunting with dogs dates back before our times and is a form of recreation steeped with a lot of nostalgia and heritage. I love to hear a pack of deer hounds or rabbit beagles early on a cold Fall/Winter morning, their voices carry for miles. It's exciting and exhilarating, especially when you realize the pack is headed in your direction. If you've positioned yourself in the right stand, hopefully you'll get the chance for a shot. Squirrels with "two guys and a dog" adds a whole different element to the "sport" and is quiet enjoyable and productive, if the dog is well trained.
Just like most other activities that involve humans, eventually it's going to get screwed up and there will be misconceptions. I've never seen a shock collar used to make a dog, chasing a game animal, go where you wanted it to. It's for training, not herding! Don't be so naive and quick to judge until you have first hand experience in the subject.
As a boy, deer hunting with my dad, grand-dad, uncles, cousins and friends, we would find a promising looking track and turn a known good jump dog on it. This dog would track/trail the deer usually up to it's bed. The dog's voice changed and became more excited when it encountered a fresher smell from the deer. This meant "he's jumped" and we would all start dancing and singing "Let's turn the dog's out, hoot, hoot" - just kidding! The excited pitch in the jump dog's voice would excite the other hounds and then they could be turned out. Now it's on! Hopefully everyone in the hunt was positioned before the deer "got up" and all the known trails are covered. This doesn't always ensure success though. Deer know every inch of their territory and usually know what's going on around them. I've seen young does and big bucks run in a tight circle all day in the middle of a block of woods and eventually loose the dogs. Then I've seen big bucks head straight out and not look back. We get the dogs 10-15 miles from where we turned them out, if we're lucky.
Today a lot "dog hunter's" use radio telemetry and CB radios to keep track of their dog(s). This was somewhat frowned upon when it first started but seems to be the norm now, especially where I'm from in southeastern N.C. The exception(s) I have are; (1) shortly after the dogs are loosed the dog owners start tracking their dogs, calling each other over the CB with frequencies to check, especially if a big buck isn't killed within the first 30 minutes. (2) After the hunt has dissolved, hunters pile up in bunches along the rural roads with antenna's stuck out their windows tracking lost dogs and are a hazard and nuisance to the public. This confuses, scares and iritates city and country folk and gives deer hunters a bad name. I used to own deer hounds of my own so I know the why's and the how's of it. Doesn't make me right or wrong, just the way it is, as I see it. JohnnyK

"Men commonly think according to their inclinations, speak according to their learning and imbibed opinions, but generally act according to custom"
Francis Bacon, Sr. quotes (English Lawyer and Philosopher. 1561-1626).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.