Dog food?

I never used any fish for bait, just the rotten stuff up in the trees to get the scent out there further for new sites, or getting ones going for the upcoming season. I've seen sites go dead when switched from "good stuff" to fish. This black bear in Canada BTW.....

Yea I'm thinking I'm going with nasty chickens in a sack in a tree. Dog food with syrup on it in the barrel fryer grease all around the bait site and especially In The front of the barrel and then do a honey burn. Should be fairly easy and plenty smelly

Popcorn and KFC fryer grease. Easy to carry in and it works. Throw in a little syrup and good to go.

Reuben

Careful there, I'm getting hungry. I love extra crispy KFC....:D

I'll stick with my week old jelly sliders, mashed in a 5 gallon pail.

Pretty sure I'll pull a bear tag this fall. I have the draw points.

Some great tips. Try bulk vanilla extract from costco (cheap) dump on a dead tree or log near your bait...really gets the odor out there and they will work that tree for weeks and weeks sometimes. I save bacon grease for months to put on the first few loads of dog food too. they get it on their feet and track it out and others seem to track it back to the bait...Thats the theory anyway.

I never used any fish for bait, just the rotten stuff up in the trees to get the scent out there further for new sites, or getting ones going for the upcoming season. I've seen sites go dead when switched from "good stuff" to fish. This black bear in Canada BTW.....

Went fishing in Canoe Lake is Saskatchewan last year and the lodge owner used to outfit black bear hunting. I asked him if he used the fish guts/heads for bear bait. He said yes but they are not as effective as jelly donuts. :D:):rolleyes::cool:

It seems like dog food work for a while but I always try to put a variety of stuff out. My main staple is donuts and bread from the bakery across the street from my work. I also make a lot of popcorn because its light and cheap and I can haul a ton of it in and its not too heavy. I make my popcorn with a turkey fryer and use old fry oil to pop it than dump it into big paper leaf bags to let it cool and add sugar and cool aide or jello packets to it so its really sweet.

Two things.Get a small coffee can and put bacon grease in it .Take a paper towel and twist it in to a wick.Push it in the grease.Light the paper towel and it will burn like a candle putting out the bacon smell.Second one is marshmellow fluff.Put in into the bark of a tree and by the end of the season the bark is flat

I ran 13 bait sites for 2 years! I've tried it all! Grease is good , leaves a scent trail for other bears to follow back to food. Snack cakes are good , but unwrapping a couple tons sucked. A 20 yard dumpster of Tyson chicken nugget rejects was good!

I did use a bunch of tuna carcasses after a fishing trip! They did eat them up pretty quick but dragging 4' long rotten fish to the sites sucked

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.