Dog food?

Idahobuckeye

Ok I'm thinking I want to use dog food this spring but... I feel I need to put syrup/sugar water etc on it to make it more effective? Will this make the dog food soggy? Thanks!

Dog food does soak up moisture pretty food, haven't noticed it making a difference if everything else about the set up is good. A small experiment should be easy to do, with what ever you want to use.

Are you using a barrel, or just laying it out? If it sticks to the barrel it could clog things up I suppose. Never used a barrel.
Good Luck.

Harperc
I was planning on using a barrel my buddy said just dig a pit with cut timber on top call it good. But for whatever reason the barrel appeals to me. I'm thinking maybe a 3x3 hole and even if it did get clogged they could lick or gnaw on it? I just do t want to mess with getting pastries or bread all the time. I wonder if it would be easier to source bread in Washington? That big bakery right off 90 before you hit Spokane from the valley

I haven't looked in a very long time, my last understanding was it mostly goes to pig farmers.

You really don't need a pit, or barrel, but try different things and see what you like to work with.

Bear Crack

Bear Crack Recipe

Ingredients: Marshmallows, powdered Jell-O mix, syrup or honey, granular sugar and 1/2lb bacon

1) Fill up a decent-sized pan, one that your wife or girlfriend is not going to need back I might add, about halfway with marshmallows. Dump in a package of powdered Jell-O mix; add a quart of syrup and a pound or so of sugar and the bacon. Go EZ on the syrup or honey, it will cause it to boil over.

2) Set pan on a single burner propane stove and bring to a slow boil. Stir occasionally while letting the Bear Crack boil. It will start to smoke after a while and continue for a long time. It will DESTROY the pan you are using so beware. I burn it until it turns into a black brick. Then dump it out and start over next time. I start a burn when I get on stand and remove it when I leave. Some pour the melted mess onto their bait.

Just burn something sweet, use what you have and don't use too much syrup or in will boil over and a sticky stove is easier to replace than to clean.....I use a barrel and chain it to the tree

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 187
Re: Bear Crack

We use popcorn coated with corn syrup, marshmallows and jello, or syrup. You can mix in anise flavor if you just do corn syrup or marshmallows alone. Throw it in a barrel and your good to go. We've done scent balls in a hanging expanded metal cage before too along with leftover bacon grease. I save mine throughout the year to use on a bait. I don't thin a person can have too much scent on a bear bait.

I'm going to try that bait bomb. I like the idea of popcorn I just like the convenience of dog food. The good news is I have a connection with a Mexican restaurant and can get as much fryer grease as I need and I'm going to saturate the area around the bait site with that. I've never gotten a bear and hopefully look forward to harvesting one. I'd prefer to spot and stalk I enjoy the more than sitting but I've never I've never had any luck... Just never been in the right place I guess

.........I'm going to try that bait bomb. I like the idea of popcorn I just like the convenience of dog food. The good news is I have a connection with a Mexican restaurant and can get as much fryer grease as I need and I'm going to saturate the area around the bait site with that. I've......................

There's room for both, an attractant to get them there, then some volume to keep their attention on one spot.

The grease over the dog food, and ground, they'll likely dig the pit for you.

My freind is the Hostess outlet store and out of date jelly sliders....

I worked for Eddie's bread here in town in college and got all the old pastries I wanted back then. Now it's closed and the Hostess outlets here are hard to get the goods from cheap. I had a pile of Hostess cakes and donuts 6' high one year. I shot a bear off that pile that sat down like a dog and reached out with a paw to shovel food in his mouth. I wish I had a video camera back then.

Potatoe chips....and popcorn with powder cheese sprinkle on it or cherry jello
This is holding bait not attractor bait

Good attractor bait Bair Crack
Another good attractor whole chickens ......

And a couple of whole chickens in burlap sack in 5 gal bucket with lid closed
Let cure for 1 month in sun.......put a small amount of water in bucket to keep chicken moist......have the burlap sake tide off with rope. When your ready to start bait stand
Take bucket and throw rope over limb pull chicken in burlap out of bucket and tie off rope out of reach of bears. ..........sure works good. The better it stinks the better for bear hunting........watch your downwind side :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 182
Ok I'm thinking I want to use dog food this spring but... I feel I need to put syrup/sugar water etc on it to make it more effective? Will this make the dog food soggy? Thanks!

I've used a lot of Walmart's Old Roy dog food for bait.

I always used that mixed with fryer grease, along with meat scraps, in an old porcelain washing pan, covered up, of course, to keep the little critters from raiding the stash.

For starting a bait site, I used suckers thrown in a 55 gallon barrel to ferment till it turned into a maggot soup, then shovel said soup into a 12" square of burlap. Tie the corners with baling wire, bend over a suitable sized sapling, tie it off on the top, and let 'er go. Yummy......

We've used left over fish parts, fish market always wanted them gone on Monday, so they cooked in a sealed 55 gallon drum in 90 degree heat sometimes.

Some folks literally puked when the lid came off, I can't say it attracted more bears, or faster, the puke never seemed to bother the bears either. I will say use much of it as bait and the bears become inedible. Salmon fed grizzlies much the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.