Does this sound right????

Bull 228

First off, kinda new here so please bare with me. I just had a 300 Win Mag built. I am reloading for it and in measuring the distance to the rifling, I have to seat my bullets (in this case Berger 190 VLD) WAAAY out there to contact the rifling. I measured 3.744" COAL and 3.033" to ogive using the Hornady / Stoney Creek gauge. Does this sound right??? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
NT

yeah sounds about right. if you cant get to the lands with enough bullet still in the neck you may need to change bullets. but lots of people have great luck with getting the Bergers to shoot.

Sounds long to me. My 300 win was built with a Tactical Match reamer that has a longer throat. I don't shoot the 190's but I do the Berger 210 and 215's.

Here are some measurements.

Both bullets seated -.040" off the lands measure head to o-give is 2.855"

The total over all length, -.040" off the lands, of the loaded rounds are as follows.

210 VLD= 3.555"
215 Hybrid= 3.630"

Jeff

I will add though I could seat the 210 VLD bullets out .100" longer and still have 100% of the neck contacting the bearing surface. That would leave 100% of the case volume available with only the boat tail hanging in the powder area.

Jeff

Jeff,
How do you like the 215 hybrids? And will those fit in the magazine box by chance? And if you don't mind my asking, what recipe do you use for that load.
NT

does seem like a long measurement but sounds like he is doing it correctly. Thats why I mentioned that he may need to switch bullets if he cant reach his lands and still have shank in the neck. Obviously I dont shoot bergers so my experience is limited but I have tried them a few times. and it sounds like a less finicky ogive or maybe the hybrid is gonna be a winner here

Jeff,
How do you like the 215 hybrids? And will those fit in the magazine box by chance? And if you don't mind my asking, what recipe do you use for that load.
NT

Here ya go. Here isd a very long report for you to read that I did. There should be enough info for you to draw your own conclusion if the 215 is for you.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/cmparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

I use Lapua brass, H-1000 and a Fed GM 215 M. The bullet is seated -.040" off the lands.

I would say you will be fine on box length, that is if it is a 700 REM. If not a Wyatts box will get you there for sure.

Jeff

Last edited:
does seem like a long measurement but sounds like he is doing it correctly. Thats why I mentioned that he may need to switch bullets if he cant reach his lands and still have shank in the neck. Obviously I dont shoot bergers so my experience is limited but I have tried them a few times. and it sounds like a less finicky ogive or maybe the hybrid is gonna be a winner here

I agree Mike. I never loaded the 190's in my 300 win, but I use to load them in a 300 wby . where we had a ton of freebore.

Jeff

I have looked at the idea of going with the 208 Amax, do either of you have some good suggestions as far as bullets that you have come to like.
NT

That sounds a little long to me too, but as long as you have all of the bearing surface in the neck I wouldn't worry about it. I have shot the 210 Berger and 208 amax in my 300wm with good results with H1000. I haven't had a chance to try the 215 hybrids but I plan on it.

I have gotten about half way through the post you suggested...kids keep coming in and distracting me. I will wrap it up tomorrow. I do like that the Hybrids sound like they are less finicky in seating depth than the VLD's though so far.
NT

Bull228,

After you read that Broz's thread you will know that the 215 will be a great big game bullet.

Now for the part that concerns you: I suggest you try that 215 hybrid seat it to fit and feed from your magazine and work up a load. Don't sweat the jump to the rifling just shoot it!

I have been shooting quite a few hybrids since they came out and they truly are insensitive to seating depths. My friend has a 300 WSM Browning A-bolt with a very short magazine box. I loaded the 230 gr hybrid in it to see how it might perform. The jump is crazy at approx .150". It shoots nice little clusters. I have a 6mm-284 and wanted the 105 hybrid to shoot in my SA Rem as a repeater. The jump was .065" and you should see the groups at 500 M! I have used the 7mm classic hunter hybrid in two rifles a 284 win and 7 rem mag. Just loaded to fit and feed from magazine and worked up a load. Recently did the same with a 300 RUM again just seated bullet to work as a repeater. In those three rifles never even bothered to measure the jump! In all of these rifles I never changed the seating depth as part of the load development!

I think you get the idea..load some up and see how it shoots. I strongly feel that we can throw away the idea that you have to put the bullet into or very close to the rifling. The VLDs are the cause for seating depth concerns and they usually require careful placement of the bullet in relationship to the rifling. Skip that issue and use hybrids. If you do try some hybrids please let us know your results.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts