Does this 30 cal Exist?

Go with a Ruger #1……offers lots more barrel length (higher velocites) while keeping overall rifle length very practical. Perhaps a 30" tube would work for you! Anything from .300 Winny up should give you the velocities you desire.

If you want to stand out in the crowd and be the "cool kid"…..chamber it in 300/404 Jeffery. The original 300 RUM…..without the rebated rim! 😁 memtb

I would still steer towards the 300WM with the correct chamber, being the A191.
Very easily handles a 210g at over 3000fps.
Although having a love affair with the 300RUM, it can be too much unless braked. Which I am not a fan of personally.

Cheers.

Thanks, FEENIX. I've never shot either of these cartridges. Performance wise I would have no doubt, but is the punishment factor with regard to recoil material? I'm really not recoil sensitive, but I do like to enjoy spending time at the range and spotting hits.
I am not sure how heavy your rifle will be, but weight is your friend regarding felt recoil. I am not sure how effective your chosen muzzle device is in mitigating felt recoil and muzzle rise, but they are not created equal. Lapua and Peterson's brass is a plus too.
If you can live with -100/150 fps, Ryan Pierce's latest 300 WSM would be a close fit.
This would open up more opportunities, including non-magnum cartridges, i.e., .30 Gibbs. Mine propels the 190 Berger VLDs at 2506 FPS out of 24" using powders I already have open (not ideal) with more room to spare - https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/ .

Good luck with your project.

Ed

Last edited:
So many cartridges and so many powders to work with.Why not pick a cartridge,run a QuickLoad on it with your:
200 grain pills at 3000 fps
22" barrel 9 twist
and see what comes up that will get you closer to your goal.

If it was my build I would be looking really hard at 300WM, you won't find loaded ammo close to that speed but you can find factory ammo for it easily. Handloading a properly throated 300WM to that level is easy in a 26" barrel, need a 3.600" mag box too, no experience with a barrel less than 24" though and 3000 was relatively simple with 212/215's. Brass, great brass, is available and relatively inexpensive. Getting a 300WM to shoot well is as easy as anything I've tried. I am pretty sure I would go this route personally, I have lots of brass, and everything else I need, and I am a fan of 300WM for sure.

I like the Nosler cartridge in the 28 and 30 and 33, Nosler brass though I do not like at all. Good 28 brass is relatively available and a 30-28N is a really solid choice. PRC has good brass available though it seems still hard to get, Hornady brass is as bad and maybe worse than Nosler. Factory ammo seems to be becoming available. Feenix suggestion of the 300NMI is a great one, easy button too if you call Ryan at Piercision, he seems to have that chambering dialed as a system. Handload only but that doesn't bother me.
Kinda like you, I also "love" the 300 WM. Bought a Buarga HMR-PRO in the 300 WM. Probably the most accurate Factory rifle I ever have had! This is a small bore target reduced for 50'! Shot at 100 yards! Was still breaking in, under 100 rounds down range! Only better Now!😂😂👍

Attachments

• AE25308E-9D66-469A-89BC-1EEBA3B2A3B3.jpeg
    AE25308E-9D66-469A-89BC-1EEBA3B2A3B3.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 65
I appreciate the feedback input. I would prefer a WSM to the WM. I'm probably going to back away from the NMI and the LMI since I want to keep this rifle light (9 - 9.5# ready to hunt). I'm not a speed freak so +/- 100 fps is not a deal killer. I just need to weigh the pros and cons between the WSM and the 30Nosler and I may have a decision.

You set a key spec of 3000 fps with 200 grain bullets out of a short barrel in your first post when you asked if this 30 Cal existed. It does but choices are limited and they all kick pretty good, though suppressed should solve a lot of that. Now that speed isn't the big determining factor, light is the main driver, that does open up a whole range of 30 Calibre options. Be interested to hear what you land on for a build.

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback input. I would prefer a WSM to the WM. I'm probably going to back away from the NMI and the LMI since I want to keep this rifle light (9 - 9.5# ready to hunt). I'm not a speed freak so +/- 100 fps is not a deal killer. I just need to weigh the pros and cons between the WSM and the 30Nosler and I may have a decision.

A 30Nosler would get you to within a 100 fps of your goal. Neither a WSM nor a WM will.